*.sis Applications Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

caje143

Journeyman
HI All,
well i have a Nokia N73 ME... i have certain Antivirus programs with me but all in sis extension... when i go to install them it says that *.sis installation not supported...
can u'll help me as to what is the problem and how can i rectify it???

and if possible give me some antivirus in *.jar format...

thnx...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
if im not wrong i think its got to do something with symbian OS backward compatibility .... n73 i think uses the the symbian OS which doesnt support older version files

not sure though

Pathik

Google Bot
mav is rite...
n73 is a os9.1 fone wit no backward compatibility...
it doesnt support sis apps... u need to install sisx apps...
and afaik ther s no good antivirus in java fones..

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Yep, Symbian didn't include backward compatibility in OS 9.1 phones for security reasons, which I feel is a good move.

Pathik

Google Bot
hmmm yea... but the security ll be circumvented soon...
soon newer file explorers ll be able to access the system folder..

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
The backward compatibilty has nothing to do with the file extension. It is the content of the files and the coding that matter.

For Symbian OS 9 and upwards, all the softwares need to be compiled differently than for the previous OS. Hence softwares compiled for the previous OS will not work on OS 9.

After correct coding, you may name the file .sis or .sisx, it does not matter.

About N73, Kaspersky has a S60 v3 anti virus, though you need not use any anti virus as of now. The system security is very profound and secure. Unless an installation file has been symbian signed, it cannot access system files, or make calls and send SMS without User acceptance, nor can it autostart on system start up. And you cannot achieve these rights by custom sec. certificates. Also , No viruses have been reported as of yet.

Plus, on the newer file systems, due to ehanced system security, you cannot send Software installation files via bluetooth, using any File manager, even if you change the extention.

@Pathiks
I do not that is going to happen. We have a nice security this time around. Although access to System folder has been achieved, since it holds nothing to crucial, Private and Sys have not ( i dont suppose will be) accessable to any of the browsers.

K

krazyfrog

Can the system folder in latest symbian phones be accessed if one uses a card reader to access the card through PC? Or is it hidden there too?

K

krazyfrog

^^ So much for tight security then. I thought the folder would be inaccessible through pc too.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
On the PC, you can access each and every folder. The phone system as no access to limit it. But the folders are hidden, so you need the hidden folders view on.

The main reason for limiting this access was, that the general public had access to critical data without realising its worth.
The limitations are well called for in my opinion.

Also, you can not access the System folders on phone memory under any circumstances, so this is a big big plus point.

Pathik

Google Bot
yep the system folders on c/ r completely locked 4 nw... This ws also a move to combat piracy i think

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Yep, as now you wont be able to share your install files, Via bluetooth thought.

You can always share the files via PC.

Another feature for piracy could have been that you can have the application insaller signed for a particulat IMEI only. Which means that it will install on that IMEI only, and not on other cells. It is possible for personaly developer signatures, not sure of comercial aspect of it though.

K

krazyfrog

^^ Man this is all crap. I think my qd is better than these new phones :D. Atleast it lets me do anything that i want without restricting me.

K

krazyfrog

^^ For atleast a year, you really need not worry about any virus attacks to your phone, cause there aren't any viruses yet found for the new os. And no virus means no need for an anti-virus. Simple.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
I agree with pathiks too!!

Viruses can only gain access if you try to install softwares from untrusted sources. Now when you buy softwares or download them from the developers website, you would not be getting viruses.

I feel this whole concept of Anti Virus for Mobilephones has been to over rated and hyped!!! Well i feel the same for the Computers :)

@caje143
Do not worry yourself with virus troubles, your new phone wont be affected.

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
well pc viruses hav advanced too much... even then i dont use any antiviruses on pc.. just a monthly scan...
compared to that the mobile viruses are like babies... u can kick them out urself... and in case something goes wrong .. y do u ppl think nokia has given the format option??? :p :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom