Simple Machines Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritish_kul2

★★★★★★★★★
I have installed Simple Machines Forum but how to set up a forum. i extracted the files. how to open a PHP file?

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
*www.simplemachines.org/smf/readme_install.html
*www.astahost.com/info.php/how-install-smf_t6176.html

If your hosting has Fantastico, you can easily install it from there in a few clicks :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
fantastico is fantastico it allows u to automatically install phpbb, smf, blogs, and all on ur site .... u click once it will do the rest .... ur host provides u with fantastico

OP
pritish_kul2

pritish_kul2

★★★★★★★★★
tech_your_future said:
Where are you trying to set it up? At a remote server or your PC?
my PC. i have just downloaded the SMF and extracted it. now how to setup my own forum?

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Oh on your PC. You will need to setup WAMP server.

WAMP - Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP

If you are unsure on how to do this. I suggest download Xaamp or EasyPHP. Both are very good WAMP Packages :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Download and install xampp, it's an easy to start server, which has apache, php and mysql
Homepage - *www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
SMF is not 64 KB :p See in order to Run PHP on your PC you need to have APACHE, MySQL, PHP on your PC.

If you dont want to download 25MB, Download EasyPHP from Easyphp.org. It is 8-9 MB i think. :)

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You will require some web server, mysql and php to set up the forum. XAMPP is the easiest for beginners IMO.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@pritish_kul2
register at any of the free web hosting sites which has forum also. Or else if u wanna ur own domain name, then buy some paid website [will be around 500~1000/- per year]. If u wanna setup server in ur home then your internet connection shud be incredibly fast[more than 2MBPS unlimited] for at least for some 20~30 people to login simultaneously into ur forum.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
aravind_n20 said:
@pritish_kul2
register at any of the free web hosting sites which has forum also. Or else if u wanna ur own domain name, then buy some paid website [will be around 500~1000/- per year]. If u wanna setup server in ur home then your internet connection shud be incredibly fast[more than 2MBPS unlimited] for at least for some 20~30 people to login simultaneously into ur forum.
I think, he just setting up forum at his own pc to learn and not for practical purposes ;)

OP
pritish_kul2

pritish_kul2

★★★★★★★★★
thanks everybody. but i would be more graeful if u provide me with a step - by - step procedure to create a forum

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
its very simple ... dwnld easyphp ... install it and then it in its install directory u will fnd www named folder copy the smf/phpbb folder in it then if im not wrong .... go to 127.0.0.1/smf it will take u the install page .... and b4 tht create a user in mysql by going to the mysql panel .... accessing mysql and all u will find a good help document with images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom