Sify narrowband in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Hi Guys!

I have a sify 48Kbps cable connection... It works fine in Windows ME but when I try to login with it in Windows XP it says

"This computer's ID is different than what is registered with us"

What should I do... Also Sify demands me to install an antivirus provided by them... And I can't use my own otherwise it doesn't let me login... How do I prevent that??

Doc Holliday

Broken In
Hi Nikhil,

I have not seen how the Sify connection works and authenticates, but it looks like it uses the MAC address (that is unique to the one that was supplied to them by you). Maybe you could use a SOHO router to clone the MAC address to overcome this problem.

The antivirus thing by them is really obscure - I think you have every right to choose and use an Antivirus program of your choice.

DH

ujjwal

Padawan
Doc is right, sify does use a userid-ipaddress-macaddress binding while authentification. But strange, I used to think that the MAC address doesn't depend on the OS :? as my triple boot linux + windows runs without problem.

Anyway, see *www.tech-faq.com/change-mac-address.shtml and try to change Windows XP's MAC address to match the one in ME (this can be found through the sify clients troubleshooter). Also check that the IP address of both machines are configured identically.

About the antivirus, let the sify client be damned ... use an unofficial client like any one available at *forum.seo4india.com/Sify_Broadband_Alternative_Clients-f38.html

HTH

OP
NikhilVerma

NikhilVerma

Padawan
The problem still persists... Both SuperSify and EasySify don't work in Windows XP...

I have even compared the MAC addresses and they are the same... I think it's some configuration problem... Please help here is the comparision screenshot from the troubleshooter

*img201.exs.cx/img201/1821/image6sm.jpg

[EDIT]

WOOHOO !!! Problem solved!!! Actually I was not starting ZoneAlarm Pro!!!
That's why I was not allowing me to do stuff!!!

SUPERSIFY Rocks !!!

Thanks Guys !!! Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom