Sify Internet Connection : for two PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
I have taken sify internet connection. They have provided dedicated line for this, but there is no modem. I want to access net on two PCs. There is however only one point they have provided with the line. I want to get it done with minimum investment.
So guys please suggest how to access net on two PCs with one net connection. Each of the PC have one LAN card.

The Sify guy suggested me that I can go for :
i) A Router ( for 2k) which will manage the trafffic automatically
ii) A hub (for .6 -.7k)for which one of the PC has to become proxy server

I dont knw much about the technicalities involved. But still I hope there are many other ways of doing this job ( I hope better than above two ).
Router is costly affair. Hub doesn't seem to be good in terms of performance coz it will overload one of the PCs.

47shailesh

Security Exp
sure there is an anothre way out..

Get a new Network card for Rs150 connect to one of ur PC.

Connect this card with the card LAN card on other mc via CAT 5 cable

configure the two network card (not connected directly with sify) with IP of same N/w adress as that given by sify..

install ccproxy on both the mc and surf freely

cheers

crookbond

Broken In
tech_cheetah said:
I have taken sify internet connection. They have provided dedicated line for this, but there is no modem. I want to access net on two PCs. There is however only one point they have provided with the line. I want to get it done with minimum investment.
So guys please suggest how to access net on two PCs with one net connection. Each of the PC have one LAN card.

The Sify guy suggested me that I can go for :
i) A Router ( for 2k) which will manage the trafffic automatically
ii) A hub (for .6 -.7k)for which one of the PC has to become proxy server

I dont knw much about the technicalities involved. But still I hope there are many other ways of doing this job ( I hope better than above two ).
Router is costly affair. Hub doesn't seem to be good in terms of performance coz it will overload one of the PCs.

How much they charge for a internet connection.
Are they providing a public ip address on your router.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Dude, there is a very simple other option over here.
Right now, i will only direct you how to do it, if you are not able to get it done, i will give you the step by step guide on how to do it.

Buy a Cross Cable to connect both the PCs.

Connect the cross cable to the PCs.

From the Control Panel, start the Network Setup Wizard.

On the PC which has the Sify Connection, choose the Option that this computer connects to the internet directly and that the other computers connect to the internet using this computer.

Go forward with the next options according to your need and it will automatically configure the settings for this pC.

Repeat this process on the other PC, but this time choose the option that this pc will connect to the internet through the other pc on the network.

Dont worry, all you need is to connect both the PCs using a cross cable and the rest is damn easy using this wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom