Shutdown instead of Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahratla

Journeyman
I recently bought an AMD Athlon 64 based PC with Windows XP+SP2 installed.

When I restart the system, instead of restarting it shuts down itself abruptly while in the process of restarting. This is not in the case of all restarts, but has only happened occasionally. When I pressed the power button of the CPU, it would not turn on and I have to reinsert the SMPS power plug to the UPS socket or change the socket where I have inserted the plug. Only after that the system could receive power supply. Besides, yesterday I found my monitor flickering a lot seeming like its horizontal size is increased or decreased continously and very low refresh rate is selected. But I think the restart problem has no connection with it as I experienced the monitor problem only yesterday. What now seems to be the culprit? Please help.

This is my configuration:-

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (939) Processor,
MSI RS480M-IL Motherboard,
80 GB SATA 7200 rpm Seagate Baracuda
2x256 PC 3200 DDR 400 MHz RAM
400 W PSU
Sony DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Acer AC713 17" CRT
APC Back-UPS 500 UPS
Creative Inspire 4400 4.1 Speakers
Samsung Pleomax Keyboard
Logitech Optical Mouse

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
check the apc ups software 2 see if the load on the ups is okay... i mean 2 say that if u connect too many peripherals to the ups then it may be overloaded.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
i think the UPS is at fault, get it checked or try borrowing ur frnds UPS to see if the problem persists, if yes then get ur comps wiring checked.

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
if its apc then u shud hav a s/w called powerchute
here is a screenshot
*img363.imageshack.us/img363/723/powerchute7gz.th.jpg

u may try bypassing the ups and connectin the pc directly to the mains and check if the prob persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom