Should I buy Dell SP2008WFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I am considering to buy the Dell SP2008WFP 20" LCD monitor. Should I buy it?
My main concern is about the quality of the panel. I would mainly use it for surfing the internet, programming and a little bit of gaming. Another concern is that it has a webcam integrated will the webcam work in Linux which is the only OS I use (and prefer) in my PC.
And can I run PES on it using an 8400GS? Or would I have to buy an 8600GT?

*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/monitor_sp2008wfp?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Also do you know any dealers in Delhi willing to sell Dell Monitors? Or am I forced to buy through the net.

Last edited:

Kush6

Broken In
I'm planning the same LCD for my machine and it seesm to be very good. You can safely buy it but I'm not sure if the webcam will work on Linux. I think there would be dealers in Delhi at nehru palace - again not sure but I can find some on Laminton Road in Mumbai so I assume there would be some in Delhi.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Hi,

I was not able to find a dealer in Delhi (searched all of Nehru Place). Had to order via net. Nehru place had 17" Dell available..but not 19" or 20".

kooki

Broken In
how much is difference in real estate is there between the 19 and 20 inch monitors.

apart from resolution. how much physical differnce will we notice?

Kush6

Broken In
The image will appear smaller and sharper due to the higher resolution - Plus, I don't think the monitors are built equal. As such physically, there will be only a slightly noticeable difference - but Like I said build quality and performance may not be the same.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Yes. there certainly is a difference between 19" and 20".

1) Resolution : 1680 x 1050 Native Resolution for 20" and 1440x900 Native Resolution for 19" (widescreen)
2) Real Estate: Not much difference it's just increase by an inch.
3) Level of detail: 20" will have much more level of detail, will be more crisp due to the resolution increase
4) The model 2008WFP in particular is pretty good model as it has 2000:1 typical contrast ratio. That's some serious amount of contrast ratio.

Note: It's not dynamic contrast ratio. It's the typical contrast ratio.

Go for it and you will not regret your buy. It's much better than the Dell 22" 228WFP.

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
how much is the price difference?

DellTM SP2008WFP 20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor With Webcam
=> Rs. 13, 800 + Taxes + Delivery Costs

DellTM UltrasharpTM 1908WFP 19" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
=> Rs. 12,807 + Taxes + Delivery Costs

DellTM SE198WFP 19" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
=> Rs. 9,700 + Taxes + Delivery Costs

Site:
*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/19lcd?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs
*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/20lcd?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1908WFP is not at all a good option to go for.

Do one thing.

Get 198WFP at a local dealer for Rs.9,700 and along with it get MSI NX8600GT for 4.5k or Palit 8600GT for 4k.

That would be a far better deal as your current onboard GPU will not be able to drive gaming on a 19" or 20".

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Thanks desiibond
Another thing. Dell will charge more than 1K for taxes and delivery and would bring the cost up to 11000 if I order via internet.
If Viewsonic is an option should I go with it or is Dell that much better than Viewsonic.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Stick to Dell.

Second option would be Samsung

Taken from january 2008 issue of Digit

Zero One Award

19-INCH MONITORS
The Contender
HP W1907; Dell E198WFP

The HP W1907 was another brilliant monitor—very good colour and contrast for a TN panel. The Dell E198WFP is yet another beauty—a good looking widescreen, and one of the best colour renditions we’ve seen for a “mere” TN panel. In fact, this monitor is very suited for image editing professionals and multimedia aficionados alike. Aesthetically the E198WFP has a beautiful
stand, and a very narrow bezel—ideal for a dual monitor setup. The Award
Dell E198WFP Dell’s E198WFP really cleans up here—colour brilliance is not really associated with TN panels, but this one proves an exception in more
ways than one. Definitely Zero1 material—which is why we’re awarding it. HP’s W1907 is also an excellent monitor but it just isn’t the price league of the Dell—besides being a great performer it’s a great steal at the price as well.

Last edited:
OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
FIne! Dell198 is the one I will go for. I suppose I will buy a graphics card.
Might consider the SP2008WFP + Graphics Card if budget permits.

@desiibond: Is MSI NX8600GT good enough to drive games at this monitor at low or medium or high setting? Also does this card run cool?

Kush6

Broken In
If your getting the 20", I would not recommend pushing newer games above low. Older games - I mean at least 4 years old - Max Payne 2 and stuff. Should run fine with older games on medium or even high. I'm not sure if it runs cool but it should be okay in the Jhansi that you have.
Note: Not sure a 390W PSU can take this load - you should upgrade that PSU ASAP.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
If your getting the 20", I would not recommend pushing newer games above low. Older games - I mean at least 4 years old - Max Payne 2 and stuff. Should run fine with older games on medium or even high. I'm not sure if it runs cool but it should be okay in the Jhansi that you have.
Note: Not sure a 390W PSU can take this load - you should upgrade that PSU ASAP.

Dude. For gods sake, don't post whatever comes out of your mind.

I have HD2600XT, which is behind 8600GT in performance and also have Athlon 3000+ (single core) processor and 1gig DDR400 RAM.

Still I play every game at highest settings.
Even F.E.A.R, which is so much demanding on the card and on the processor, runs without any hiccup with full eye candy on over 198WFP.

And you are suggesting to play 4yr old games. My question to you is "What is your PC configuration"

FIne! Dell198 is the one I will go for. I suppose I will buy a graphics card.
Might consider the SP2008WFP + Graphics Card if budget permits.

@desiibond: Is MSI NX8600GT good enough to drive games at this monitor at low or medium or high setting? Also does this card run cool?

Yes. That MSI card is a cool customer.

YOu will be able to run all the games except something like crysis with full eye candy ON on 198WFP. YOu may need to adjust few settings for 20".

If your budget permits, get MSI/EVGA 9600GT for some 8.5k to 9.5k. THis is a superb card.

Last edited:

Kush6

Broken In
When I was talking of new games I meant stuff like Crysis - addicted to this one, Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, Assasin Creed and the Like - I'd like to see you run that stuff on high at 1650X1080 with 1GB RAM and an 8600GT - not to mention a single core processor.
I currently have an even worse setup but planning a new rig.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Crysis is one game that is termed as a benchmark to test GPU's :)

Crysis hurts GPU's doesn't mean that every single game released will hurt every single GPU available.

CoD4, Assasin's Creed etc are pretty scalable games just like lot of other games available today. They will optimize the setting to give best settings for smooth gameplay.

To do manual settings, all you need to do is turning on/off special effects like AA anf AF, Vsync etc.

Kush6

Broken In
Not so convinced - I'm getting a Dell SP2008WFP with a 8600 GT soon, however - I'll have 4 GB RAM so Most games should run smoothly at the native resolution without AA and AF, according to you? I'll try it CoD4 and report back.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
CoD4 Recommended Specs:
CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core or better
RAM: 1G for XP; 2G for Vista
Hard Drive: 8GB of free space
Video card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better

This means CoD4 should run without any hiccup on a 8600GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom