Should ganesh immersion be allowed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
Offcoz Yes!! keeping in mind every single citizen/indian has every right to celebrate the religious festivals in the best way possible. Who wudnt want to? But off late ( keep in mind am only discussing about hyd scene) we have experienced a bad output. As we all know by now that we have such a gud lake called as hussain sagar but it all stinks.. there are n number of reasons though. Ganesh (my apologies if am spelling it wrong) festival is one of high importance to hindus and they do celebrate with utmost faith and dedication. What I feel is, either the number of immersions should be brought down or pandals (if this is right term for the places were ganesha's are installed) should be limited to 1 or 2 per community/area. The whole dumps really leave a very very bad scene of the lake, if we cud use some gud high quality/low chemical materials ( I dont know what they are made of ) it wud b just a perfect way to celebrate the festival..

anandk

Distinguished Member
along with rights, come duties...to mother nature.
shadu/mud gamesh idols are allright...they are biodegradable; pop ones r not and (immersion) shud be banned, over a period of time atleast.

its an idea whose time has come !

indian_samosa

No longer here..
i think mud statues are fine.....
but people prefer pop ones coz they are easier to fabricate.......
if you see tradition ...then mud is the way....

PS: Virus .....u typed all the words correctly yaar...no need to apologize if you spelt something wrong.....god wont punish you or me for typing his/her name wrong..

kumarmohit

Technomancer
led_shankar said:
Of course not... What a waste of money all religious festivities are.

Excuse Me ! dude any such ban amounts to breach of freedom to choose and practice religious activities which is both a fundamental and a human right we live in a secular state which follows all religions and not atheist state besides any human rights breach is a shame for entire nation

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well if the idols do not contain toxic material , or any other material that will cause harm , then it's okay otherwise a big noo .

mediator

Technomancer
Well I think...........Ganesh immersions shud be done by holy,religious leaders only and not by everyone. If immersions are carried out on large scale it will only lead to water pollution. And also these idols shud be made of eco-friendly materials!
Also there shud be a ban on slaughter of cows practised in temples, a small amount of crackers shud be burst to fullfill happiness on Diwali........but not doing major air pollution.

Likewise I think in on the auspicious day of "ID" of Muslims...........there shud be no slaughter of goats!

I think all religions shud ban on anykind of slaughter of animals or human sacrifices. If religions preach non-violence..........then animals shud be saved from such heinous acts!

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Immersion is essential to the ritual. I can't imagine a Ganesh Chaturthi festival without it.

What needs to be stopped though, is the use of POP in making the idols. And the use of hazardous paints on them. Also, the ever-escalating heights of the statues that we see every year(get into Khetwadi, at this moment, and you'll see what I mean). And the mundane commercialization of the festival via the mandals - it's really sickening.

eagle_y2j

Youngling
led_shankar said:
Of course not... What a waste of money all religious festivities are.
ugh! another advance 21st century d00d wtf he is challenge 5000yrs+ old traditions . We are here coz only of our traditions .
No need to stop Immersions it doesn't causes more polution than tat factories do to Holy Ganges !

mediator said:
Also there shud be a ban on slaughter of cows practised in temples
man r u in ur full senses we Hindus worship cows how can u say we slaughter them ugh!

Wat do u all say?

Last edited:

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
eagle_y2j said:
ugh! another advance 21st century d00d wtf he is challenge 5000yrs+ old traditions . We are here coz only of our traditions .

Thanx for the compliment :) But I'd like to inform you that these 'old traditions' have not been challenged only by 21st century d00ds. They had been challenged strongly enough by d00ds of the ancient eras too; read about the Carvaks.

Anyway, what I meant was that on an institutionalised level, it does lead to a lot of wastage of resources, which ought to be diverted to stuff like security, poverty alleviation and civic amenities. And while it is true that many industries flourish because of these festivities, they cannot be encouraged at the cost of the environment. You might say that the problem could be resolved amicably if the idols were made of organic matter only. but a legislation to this effect would be very hard to enforce, since the industries involved are not organised, and the authorities do not have a reputation for strict enforcement in environmental issues that involve such careful scrutiny.

At the individual level, of course, religious activities are a totally private matter, and have no implications to societal resources. Unless of course, they cause direct harm to other peace loving members of society. So, when you play with the environment by immersing idols in water bodies that are not your private property, you do a great disservice to the community.

mediator

Technomancer
eagle_y2j said:
man r u in ur full senses we Hindus worship cows how can u say we slaughter them ugh!
I know that!.......But the Nepalese authorities went away because they were asked to slaughter cow in some temples. I didnt mean that we Hindus slaughter cows on festivals or daily. But only meant was slaughter of animals shud also be banned !

OP
__Virus__

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
mediator said:
Well I think...........Ganesh immersions shud be done by holy,religious leaders only and not by everyone.

Cant agree better.

mediator said:
Likewise I think in on the auspicious day of "ID" of Muslims...........there shud be no slaughter of goats!

mediator said:
I think all religions shud ban on anykind of slaughter of animals or human sacrifices. If religions preach non-violence..........then animals shud be saved from such heinous acts!

Well a gud question, a very gud one. Lets talk religion later. Apart from religious matter, cows/goats are regulary slaughtered on daily basis and that too in thousands.. yes thousands. If the slaughtering is to be stopped, I think we shall start it right here.

Coming another explanation:

On Eid we do slaughter, it has something to do with what is mentioned in the holy book, I know it sounds shaky but since we are not having a hardcore debate on religious matters, I think this simple defination will justify. And apart from the Bakrid *the Eid what we name as* we (not atleast my family and most of US) dont really slaughter these animals.

eagle_y2j said:

I dont really think he meant that.

Last edited:

TechGuru#1

In the zone
Festival time..the ONLY time,i can look forward 2 my Life & get my batteries re-charged!!!
Expect & Long for that throughout the year!!!! Gets highly addictive & Nostalgic!
Can't live without festivals & 2 be precise the festive spirit!
After a Year Long wait......its like a Drop of Rain in the scorched SAHARA desert!
Man,whatever u complain.dont the least complain abt Festivals.....it is what makes, many of ours life, going!!!

mediator

Technomancer
TechGuru#1 said:
Festival time..the ONLY time,i can look forward 2 my Life & get my batteries re-charged!!!
Expect & Long for that throughout the year!!!! Gets highly addictive & Nostalgic!
Can't live without festivals & 2 be precise the festive spirit!
After a Year Long wait......its like a Drop of Rain in the scorched SAHARA desert!
Man,whatever u complain.dont the least complain abt Festivals.....it is what makes, many of ours life, going!!!

Totally agreed + we get holidays tooooooo! But the happiness wud increase exponentially if we are able to Njoy the festivals properly without any killings or environmental degradation!

OP
__Virus__

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
mediator said:
Totally agreed + we get holidays tooooooo! But the happiness wud increase exponentially if we are able to Njoy the festivals properly without any killings or environmental degradation!

I second that. No one is killing the festives techG. We had been and we will b celebrating it in full swings but must make sure that our days or celebrations are not hazards for coming years to the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom