shld i purchase this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_logical

Broken In
hi,
i m an engg student. i m planning to purchase a comp. as usual i m confused regarding my configuration. as per some knowledge i have acquired from various magzines and websites i have learnt that AMD processors are offering a tough fight to their intel siblings and that too at a bit cheaper cost. So naturally i am inclined towards purchasing an AMD based system. I have contacted my local assembler for following system. the rough estimate is:

AMD 64 2800+ with MSI board
512 MB DDR RAM
80 GB HDD
DVD CD-RW combo drive (LG/Samsung)
15" TFT screen monitor
stereo speakers
kbd+mouse(microsoft)
cabinet etc....

the approx cost is around 30000.

now these r my queries:

1.)is preffering amd over intel correct???

2.)now the trouble is that i am not fully acquantied with new line of AMD 64 processors. with intel u have processors which go with 845,865,915 etc. but i dont know these facts abt AMD processors. if u plz throw light on this and that stuff abt sockets. i want a combo equivalent to 2.8 or 3.0 with 915G .

3.)what abt on board graphic ??? do the mobos supporting amd 64 have descent graphic solutionss or i will have to spend in a seperate graphics card. i m willing to spend arnd 3-3.5k on the gpu. plz let me know abt some cards which fall in this bracket and perform well enough.

4.) what is peed of ram which go in with these mobos 333 or 400??

also suggest where shld i make changes in the config and plz help me in detail with the processor and g card. also write the extra bucks i wld have to shell out??

thnx for reading this post and answering me.

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
Dont worry.Ur config is pretty much ok.
Get this board.. MSI rs480 M2. This is a very good board with decent onboard ATi graphics.U will get better performance than 2.8ht with 915 mobo.
Just go ahead !
Good luck

OP
M

mr_logical

Broken In
ok,thnx for that

well thnx sdwndr, does this mean that i can forgo an xtra graphics card. new readers plz take pain to go thru my previous post and post hteir views.
thnx

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
Not really. The onboard gfx will let u play all modern games including doom 3 but at low resolution nd low-medium details... but if u want the full glory of the games consider a good gfx card such as 6600 upwards..

asdf1223

Journeyman
buddy if u want to use a rs480m2 u need a socket 939 processor.minimum of
3000+ speeds is only available in socket 939.i would suggest te same config+
an nvidia 6200.check the forums for the prices.but if u want future proofing and upgradablity go for 3000+and msi rs480m2 with onboard.

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
pretty decent config.......U can go forward without hesitation
One question...Are u a serious gamer then u should go for Graphic Card....
else if u r casual gamer then u ru mobo id far enough.........

OP
M

mr_logical

Broken In
i searched the forum for price of nVidia 6200. the quotes i found were from dec 2003 at listed as rs 5500. does any one know its current price????

OP
M

mr_logical

Broken In
asdf1223 said:
buddy if u want to use a rs480m2 u need a socket 939 processor.minimum of
3000+ speeds is only available in socket 939.i would suggest te same config+
an nvidia 6200.

well same config=??
2800+ or 3000+

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Dump the TFT and go for a 17" flat CRT the only advantage of the LCD is that it saves space. You'll also save about 3k which you can use to go for a 200GB SATA HDD (abt 5.3k total)

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
mr_logical said:
i searched the forum for price of nVidia 6200. the quotes i found were from dec 2003 at listed as rs 5500. does any one know its current price????
u need a pci express version.6200 non terbo cache pci e 128 mb costs around 3000
256 MB costs around 3700.
DONT BUY THE TURBO CACHE VERSION.IT SUCKS
And yes u need amd 64 3000+ at least priced around 6.5k
I think u just buy the board....wait for a whle ...then buy 6600 or upwards.
coz 6200 is a not a powerfull card at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom