Sharing desktop remotely using real VNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hello guys, here is one more tutorial from me.

Sharing desktop remotely using real VNC.

It often happens that if you have two or more computers that you will need to work on your desktop which is places in another room, you often need to be physically there at the computer to work on it.

Insted use remote desktop or desktop sharing to getinto that PC.

I will show how to do this on a local network. both on windows as well as in linux ( ubuntu gusty )

Windows:
I will be using Real VNC for this.

There is a free version available which you can use :)
Real VNC Home Page
Real VNC Free Edition

Setting up RealVNC

Once you install RealVNC there are a few enteries in the Start menu.
VNC Server (service-Mode) , VNc Server (User-Mode) and VNC Viewer.

There are two kind of application here VNC Server and VNC Viewer.
Server: The VNC server should be running on your system for others to access your desktop.
You can start the server as in service mode or in user-mode.. in service mode the server will work as a background process.

You need to configure the authentication. use VNC password authentication
and give a password. you will need to enter this password when you want to
connect to the computer. If you want VNc to prompt you when anyone tries
create a connection then you can enable "Prompt local user to accept connection"
*img267.imageshack.us/img267/6869/vncconfigfx8.th.jpg

once the server is started and set, you will be able to connect to the system from other systems and share the desktop.

Next is the VNC viewer.

This application is used to login to the remote desktop.

enter the IP address or system name of the system you want to connect, you will get a password prompt (if you have configured it), enter your password and vola you got the remote desktop ;). Now you can use your remote system as if you are physically there at the PC ( except you cant insert a CD/DVD :p )
*img524.imageshack.us/img524/1699/vncviewermq9.jpg
*img524.imageshack.us/img524/1699/vncviewermq9.fede903187.jpg

Ubuntu 7.10:

There is not need to install anything to get remote desktop running in Ubuntu. Ubuntu already has a "Terminal Server Client" application which supports VNC and other protocols.

Goto Applications>Internet> Terminal Server Client.

*img507.imageshack.us/img507/841/screenshotterminalservedr8.png
*img507.imageshack.us/img507/841/screenshotterminalservedr8.8c9d60b75a.jpg

Enter IP address or the machine name you want to connect to as the Computer.Select VNC as the protocol. and click connect. you will be asked the password (if set in there remote server) and you will get the desktop.

Connecting to Ubuntu is also simple.
Open System> Preference>Remote Desktop
*img520.imageshack.us/img520/1253/screenshotremotedesktopuk0.th.png

Check everything there and enter a password. Check "Ask you for confirmation" if you want to be prompted when someone tries to connect to your system. once this is done you can connect to this linux computer via VNC viewer in other systems.

Here are a few screenshots showing my system sharing XP , Vista and Ubuntu
Vista Remote desktop on XP
*img509.imageshack.us/img509/9792/xpvistavg0.th.jpg

XP Remote desktop on Vista
*img509.imageshack.us/img509/2258/vistaxpnj4.th.jpg

Ubuntu Remote on Vista
*img509.imageshack.us/img509/1993/vistaubuntunz3.th.jpg

Vista Remote on Ubuntu
*img502.imageshack.us/img502/9528/screenshotfa9.th.jpg

I hope this tutorial will be usefull for you guys :)

Firewall Consideration: Firewall Consideration[/COLOR]: Ports 5800 and 5900 are the default ports for VNC.Please make sure that the ports 5800 and 5900 are open in your firewall. If you know any ports which are already open then just set those ports in the VNC settings.

There is one issue with connecting ot vista systems.

If UAC is enabled in the remote PC and if a user tries to do some task which invokes UAC ( like trying to open the device manager ) then the session gets disconnected.

Last edited:

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Re: Remote Desktop

Bro this is really awesome tut...

I'm waiting for the Radio Tut

And this will sure gonna help to connect desktops remotely

Last edited:

Gigacore

Dreamweaver

This is really a awesome tutorial..

I just took a hardcopy of this tut and followed the instructions to establish a connection between my friend's lappy and desk.... I worked 100000000% without anyprob.. this really makes life as easy as pie...

THIS is wonderful tut..

*www.comments.zingerbugimages.com/Thanks/blue_heart_thanks.gif
once again.

Offtopic:

Proof for why this tut is 100000% works..

*img452.imageshack.us/img452/4509/blahsd8.jpg

5.9K+ views in 5 Days... 1180+ views per day!!!

really dont know why not much replies ...... *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/7.gif

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^^ Nice to know that my tut worked for you :)

@mods: is the number of views correct? I still cannot believe it :p

prasad_den

Padawan

Charan: got a doubt..: Will this work even if the windows remote desktop feature is disabled..?? And what about remote connection over internet. I know i can google this, but still I would like to know from you.. *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/26.gif *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/26.gif

Reg. the no. of views: Congrats..!! *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/77.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/77.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/77.gif *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/41.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/41.gif

Offtopic: How ya doing..?? *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/3.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/3.gif

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking

yes in my office we are using theb same, but can you tell clearly how to restrict admin to see at our desktops

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

prasad_den said:
Charan: got a doubt..: Will this work even if the windows remote desktop feature is disabled..?? And what about remote connection over internet. I know i can google this, but still I would like to know from you.. *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/26.gif *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/26.gif

Windows Remote Desktop feature has nothing to do with RealVNC both are different but does the same job, getting VNC up and running is easy than working with in built windows remote desktop...

If you know the ip address of the remote PC then you can connect to it even over the internet.. I have done this at my work place.. remember that the firewall of the remote PC should allow VNC to communicate with the outside world.

Reg. the no. of views: Congrats..!! *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/77.gif

Offtopic: How ya doing..?? *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/3.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/3.gif

Thanks .. im doing just fine :)

Batistabomb said:
yes in my office we are using theb same, but can you tell clearly how to restrict admin to see at our desktops

just disable/close the VNC server, else change the password ;) .. which I do :D

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
Nice tutorial! Thanks!

i have a question .. its only for same virtual network..I cant access my comp from anywhere else on earth? right?

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@kaushik : yes you can use it from any place on earth unless you know the IP address of the remote PC.. VNC is used by many Customer Support companies for trouble shooting client machines.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
After unblocking the ports 5800 and 5900 everything was fine. Its working great . Tho had to struggle a bit finding the problem, then narrowed down to port blocking! Good that you updated the guide to include this info, others will not face this problem now.

Thanks again for the guide, Charan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom