Sharing a dsl connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk88in

Broken In
ok here's an interestin question...
HOW IN THE WORLD DO I SHARE A DSL CONNECTION BETWEEN TWO COMPUTERS??? :shock:
allright i have my comp. on the 2nd floor and my mom's comp. is on the 1st floor...how do I share my dsl connection with my mum???
Do i need a new modem or do i need something else?

indro

In the zone
Hi there , DSL or not what you need to do is attach two lan cards in the computer to which the internet is connected to and in one lan card connect the internet connect with whatever settings and IP address your ISP has assigned to you , then on the other card connect your computer and your mom's with a crossover cable (p2p) and assign a class c address like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 to each PC's and on your mom"s computer , in the default gateway option give the ip address of your computer to the lan card where the other end of the cable connects , that should work for you , any questions reply .Do give me feedback .

digen

Youngling
First & foremost which OS you got there at both ends?
If you got XP at one end then you can use Internet Connection Sharing[ICS] from the Network Setup Wizard to share your DSL connection after you've configured a proper LAN.
Let the machine decide IP for the 2nd machine,cause manually addressing IP on the second machine would be a better option cause 2nd machine will get internet access from the 1st one.The rest has been covered by indro.

OP
H

hbk88in

Broken In
Im using Windows XP professional on my computer n on the other one ive got windows 98 installed..
thanx for the help.,...but after doin all this...can my mum use the internet when my computers switched off?
i mean when my computer's not connected...she wont be able to connect rite?

digen

Youngling
Nope she cant.Cause its like your computer is providing the necessary resources i.e dsl connection & your mum's pc is accesing the share.LAN has to be setup first & then ICS can be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom