Shameless Showoff: Touch-screen on my EEE PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Hello everyone. I just managed to complete my second hardware mod on my EEE. I installed a touch-screen on EEE 701. It is completely amazing and a must-have for all EEE 701 users IMO. Using EEE was never so fun, be it surfing or anything else.

The touchpanel is of absolute top quality. Sensitivity is perfect and I can use my fingers on the screen instead of a pen or stylus without any issues.I have fallen in love with this little beauty all over again. A picture is worth more than a thousand words, a video is worth probably a million :p

Here are two not-so good quality videos of my EEE with touch-screen. I wonder how playing games on touch-screen would be like.:D

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ETlYIJsJk

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=0stUNxVct4c

One more interesting part about using a touchscreen is that the display can be inverted 180 degrees and can be used like a pure touch device with the display part resting on the lap. This is what I mean:

*img255.imageshack.us/img255/8190/eeeinvertok5.th.jpg

One thing that I am very excited about is that the panel manufacturer also provides linux drivers. Looking forward to installing arch on this babe. Its gonna be my first complete linux system with a touchscreen :)

Last edited:

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
Now thats wat u call custamisation

Now thats wat u call custamisation
Great job. But please tell how u did it and price of parts used

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@Pat.

Gratz on pulling it off.
Now get ready to have Pathik on your tail , asking you to do it for him too :p

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Time to get myself a EEE. Simply great work pulling it off. Mods when posted on websites look simple to do but it takes courage, cash & patience to make them work. Great work!

OP
Pat

Pat

Beyond Smart
Mods when posted on websites look simple to do but it takes courage, cash & patience to make them work.

You sure need a lot of guts and patience.

ok guys, here is some more information about this mod:

1. Touch-panel bought from a reputed seller on ebay (fidodido). Note that he ships from taiwan. As I am not in India currently, I was quite sure that customs people wont be a problem. If you order it from India, I am not sure whether customs people will allow it for free or not.

2. The panel cost me 31 Euros plus 16 Euros for shipping. (which is approx Rs. 3k) I dont think its too expensive.

3. For this mod, you have to completely open your EEE (i.e. void your warranty). Its not so difficult actually. This is the guide that I used.
*forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=6036

4. Also on the ebay sale, the seller has given clear instructions.
*cgi.ebay.de/7-SOLDERLESS-Touch-Pan...oryZ8101QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5. I also saw jkks videos a lot of times and also referred to EEE PC Internal Upgrades Guide:

*jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-to-add-touch-panel-to-asus-eee-pc.html

*beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Eee_PC_Internal_Upgrades

Let me know if you guys have any other questions :)

will it possible with Linux?

Yes. Drivers are available here
*210.64.17.162/web20/eg/drivers.htm

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
My EEE was stripped naked in the 1st month. ;)
Pat, did that require any soldering. I am thinking to get that $30 +$6 Touch Panel from eBay.
and yea..
/me slaps ray :D

Oops. Checked that link now. Will be a problem getting all that hardware. :(

Last edited:
OP
Pat

Pat

Beyond Smart
My EEE was stripped naked in the 1st month. ;)
Pat, did that require any soldering. I am thinking to get that $30 +$6 Touch Panel from eBay.
and yea..
/me slaps ray :D

Oops. Checked that link now. Will be a problem getting all that hardware. :(

Which link ? You can ask fidodido if he ships to India. The kit that I bought from him dint need any soldering. So I had to disable the anyways $hitty webcam to get this working. Disable means removing the cable going from the webcam to motherboard.

Pathik

Google Bot
So you mean you just removed the webcam cable, replaced it with the panel cable, inserted the panel before the screen and placed its controller in the free space in the motherboard. This sounds good.

OP
Pat

Pat

Beyond Smart
So you mean you just removed the webcam cable, replaced it with the panel cable, inserted the panel before the screen and placed its controller in the free space in the motherboard. This sounds good.

yes, two cables actually. One goes from Touch controller to the power port on motherboard (where webcam connector is present by default). The other one from Touch controller (data cable) goes to the panel. Thats it. Its pretty simple actually. Just that you need to manage the cables and all well so that the screen bezel closes after adding Touch panel. Mine bulges slightly at the bottom but its not visible normally.

OP
Pat

Pat

Beyond Smart
So your webcam is disabled right now?

Yes. But if you want both of them to work, you can order a 4 port internal USB hub which allow you to use 4 USB devices at the same time. Touchpanel, webcam and 2 more of your choice (bluetooth, pendrive, gps etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom