Shader Model 3 v Shader Model 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sychomayniac

Right off the assembly line
I m in confusion i wanna know if i use ATI X800 GTO which has shader model 2 and i m using onboard shader model 3 mobo, so i wanna know will i able to use vista or any shader model 3 effects in the game.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
vista only needs sm 2.0, i dont know which onboard u have , but i think its certainly is not better than x800 GTO. Few games use sm3 features like splinter cell chaos th. and age of empires 3 . so u wud be missing some effects with a sm 2 card.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
i suggest u go fo x800 gto . (crap crap crap , i had to write this as i am not allowed to post in less than 50 words, what the hell !!!, my orignal msg ended after the fullstop, and i think it was sufficient, huh)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
No problems whatsoever.Go with the X800GTO as it will have a larger bandwidth compared to that Pityful onboard which only boasts of the newer 6 series onboard implementation and can't give decent frame rates with latest games @1024x768 resolutions.If you are so skeptical with the X800GTO being SM 2.0 compliant then select the 6600GT which is almost on par with the X800GTO and is SM 3.0 compliant.Very few games like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory,Far Cry,Black and White 2 support SM 3.0 in their full glory.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
well i too have the same board and have set the video memory size to 64MB and vista is running absolutely smoothly!

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
well i too have the same board and have set the video memory size to 64MB and vista is running absolutely smoothly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom