SEVERE Overheating Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
Hello people!
First things first, yes i did see the "Overheating problems" sticky thread. But i felt like i needed to start this as another thread coz of the long history of actions that i have taken to try solving my problem...
And plus, i am bugged, frustrated, humiliated and baffled now!

Here is my config :-

Intel P4 3.0 GHz Processor with HT Technology
Intel 865GBF Original Motherboard
XFX Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card
512 (x 1) MB DDR RAM
Iomega 8x DVD Writer
Samsung 80 GB Hard Disk

When i bought the pc around 1.5 years back, everything was fine and it worked like a breeze. But around 8 months back, the pc started to shutdown automatically. Shutdown as in, just turn off as if there was a power failure. On restarting it, i saw some message like

"The CPU was shutdown because of a thermal event (overheating).
Service the unit right away to solve this problem."

Okay, now here it all starts. I ran my pc with the cabinet open for some days, and it helped a bit. But still the problem became more evident. And then, I did ALL of the following things to solve the problem...

1.) Changed the location of my PC to some place where more air flow is available. Didn't help...
2.) Called up the computer technician. He serviced the unit, but the problem persisted.
3.) The technician applied the thermal paste that has been mentioned in the sticky thread. Still, the problem persisited.
4.) I sent my motherboard for a replacement to Intel. Had to wait for more than a month. Finally i got a brand new replaced motherboard installed. STILL, the problem persisted!!
5.) I installed one extra fan in the cabinet, to enable proper air flow. Still no difference...
6.) I got the fan on the processor changed. (Yes, i even tried re-seating the old fan a hundred times!!) No difference...
7.) I got my RAM, Graphics Card, Processor, SMPS and motherboard checked again. I figured out that i had a 300W SMPS where as i needed 400W. So i got my SMPS changed to a brand new 400W supply. No difference...
8.) I removed my graphics card and used my pc. No difference...
9.) I got my motherboard (the replaced new one) checked by another technician, who told there were minor problems with it. He repaired it. Still problem persisted...
9.) I installed utilities like SpeedFan 4.31. It shows the CPU temperature close to 80-82 degrees celsius in normal operation, i.e. when the pc is idle and doin nothing at all!!! And when i run some heavy app or a game, the CPU temp goes to 110 degrees celsius!!!!!!!!! After that, it shuts down. I tried touching the processor sink, and yes, it seems HOT. But it didn't burn my finger for around 2 seconds...
Also, SppedFan shows my Fan1 speed as just constant 29 RPM. Is there a problem here?
10.) Now i have another technician saying that it is the motherboard-processor compatibility problem. He said that 865 boards cannot handle 3.0 GHz processors. He has asked me to change my board to either 915 or the new D101...

This dumb box is becoming a pain for me now!
I would be really grateful and obliged to someone who can figure out what on earth the problem is with this idiotic box!!
I just wanted to post this problem here before i try getting my motherboard changed! Any takes??

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Answering the last question........my earlier RIG had P4 3GHz HT prescott with Intel 865GBF mobo. So there is no compatiblity problem as the technician had suggested.

Why was the mobo send for replacement.....what was the fault?
Did the technician find any fault with it? Did the technician checked the mobo with another proccy?

Maybe ur current CPU is faulty or some fault has arised. Though chances of CPU being the culprit is usually minimal but u can't say.

80-82 degrees on "load" is fine for PRESCOTT but for startup or idle its too high. Is the CPU fan working properly and since u had ur mobo replaced the thermal sensors should be giving correct reading.

My suggestion try using any other compatible processor and see if the problem still persists.

OP
A

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
Thanks john!!
The mobo was sent for replacement because the technician thought it was some fault with the board.

I have yet not considered the chances of the CPU being faulty.

And the CPU fan seems to be working properly, but i doubt if the speed is being automanaged by the processor. What can be the fault if it is not automanaged according to the temp of the processor?

Oh, and i surely am gonna try and put another processor in this thing...
Will update you about it asap!

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
See the reading in the BIOS and see for yourself if the CPU fan is rotating correctly (which u have already done).

Also consider cleaning the HSF and cabby itself for proper ventilation. Remember just installing more fans doesn't means better flow of air inside the cabinet. Cold air comes in from the low portion of the cabby and hot air is expelled from the upper part. "HOT AIR RISES".

I presume u have done the cleaning part. So see if the BIOS is giving correct reading.

rohanbee

Padawan
Well i had the same problem with almost a similar config but with an intel 915 mobo...............a part of it was solved by installing windows xp sp2........something to do with the alarm going of at lower heats.....or something. Once in a while i still get those problems but then i leave my cabinet open.............that solves the problem mostly.....
Try the above and see if it works by installing service pack 2...
good luck

OP
A

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
Okay, i did see the BIOS. And it does give me readings of 80+ degrees celsius.
My cabinet has proper ventilation. I have kept it open right now, otherwise the pc would shut down!!
And i have done the cleaning part and do it regularly.

Well rohanbee, thanks for ya reply. But i already have Windows XP SP2 installed on my pc.
Leaving your cabinet open temporarily solves your problem, but it is not the solution to the problem. There is still something wrong in there, isn't it?

blackpearl

The Devil
Try applying the thermal paste once more. Remember, applying thermal paste is tricky; the layer should be razor thin and extremely uniform. It doesn't always work the first time. So keep applying and reapplying until you perfect it. Also cheap thermal paste won't help much. Use Artic Silver, its definately going to help.

If nothing helps, send the CPU to Intel for replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom