Setting Virtual Machine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guru

Broken In
Can anyone help me in setting & running a microsoft virtual machine 2007.

I got XP, and want to install 98 and vista in virtual machine.

PC Config.
1 GB RAM , 3 GHZ D Processor

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Download Microsoft VPC from here, *www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

now if u have 32bit Windows XP then download the x86 and if u have 64bit Windows XP then download the x64 version !!!

Install it, pretty simple installation !!!

Now Running it... OK...

I belive u have Intel PD processor, but there are many models running at 3GHz *www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/pentium_d.htm which one of it ?? if u have 930 then u have the Intel VT which is gr8 for Virtualization...

So if u have 930 and supported Motherboard, then go to BIOS and turn on the VT settings !!!!

Now with Virtual PC, Start the applciation... !!! for the 1st time it may ask u to Create new Virtual PC, cancle that...

Now at the VPC window Click File >> Option

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/158/04/01.JPG

Now there, Turn on the Hardware Virtualization (If available) !!!

Now, Next is Creatting one New Virtual Mechine !!

Click New, one wizered will come up, there Select Create a new Vurtual Machine !!

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/158/04/02.JPG

Now Click Next to Select a Location and name the Machine !!! Note By default it will save in My ducuments, which u should avoide as it will eat a lot on HDD space, so browse and select a place where u want it to be, and name it, in my case I name it Win98SE.....

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/158/04/03.JPG

Click Next and select the OS, Windows 98 !!!!

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/158/04/04.JPG

Now by default windows will arrange only 64 MB of RAM for Windows 98 SE now u can adjust that, as u have 1GB i suggest put 128MB or more of the Windows 98 SE

But if u will be running multiple VPC OS at a time then may be u can select less that too, how ever it is adjustable at any later stage !!

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/158/04/05.JPG

Click Next to Create a new Virtual HDD

Now here at Selecting ammount, it doesnt matter how much u select as VPC will only show that ammount but it will not alocate any pre-occupide space... so I selected 15GB, Note, Windows 98 will use FAT 32 which has a limitation of 32GB partition MAX !!!

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/158/04/06.JPG

So Click Next to Finish it....

Now in VPC window u will have new machine Win98SE... Highlight it and click settings, now here Turn on the Virtuallization and play with any settings if u need !!!

*img14.imgspot.com/u/07/158/04/07.JPG

!!!

So, now Just Select the Mechine and Click Start !!! keep the Windows 98 Installation CD ROM in the CD Drive of ur computer !!

Now at VPC running window, Click the CD Menu and from there ask it to use Physical Drive x: and click action and Ctrl+alt+del, now you would see VPC is booting from Windows 98 CD....

from now on its just like any othyer windows 98 installation !!

TO use full screem use Right ALT + Enter note, with VPC by default, the Right ALT Key is for ur HOST OS... !!!

Now after you have completed the installation u may feel very slagish Mouse movement in side the VPC, so, Click Action and then Install or Update Virtual Machine Add ins

now u r done...

OP
G

guru

Broken In
Where can i find if it's So if i have 930 , and where in BIOS i can turn on the VT settings.

I have intel 945 mother board.

And also Hardware Virtualization option is not available.

Do i need ISO images to install or my cd drive will work in it ?

I have XP (NTFS) installed on my machine.

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Where can i find if it's So if i have 930

See even if u dont have VT u could easily run VPC, but with VT it runs really smoth and better !!

how ever to know more about ur Processor, download CPU-Z, run the EXE to get complete info about the system u r running :)

Note, some AVS may detect CPU Z as harmfull object while running as it comunicates with BIOS, so keep the AVS off when running it :D

*www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

OP
G

guru

Broken In
Where can i find if it's So if i have 930 , and where in BIOS i can turn on the VT settings.

I have intel 945 mother board.

And also Hardware Virtualization option is not available.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@guru

Both of ur question's I have already answered,

Where can i find if it's So if i have 930

In reply I wrote,

Me said:
See even if u dont have VT u could easily run VPC, but with VT it runs really smoth and better !!

how ever to know more about ur Processor, download CPU-Z, run the EXE to get complete info about the system u r running

Note, some AVS may detect CPU Z as harmfull object while running as it comunicates with BIOS, so keep the AVS off when running it

*www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

guru said:

I wrote,

Me said:
So, now Just Select the Mechine and Click Start !!! keep the Windows 98 Installation CD ROM in the CD Drive of ur computer !!

Now at VPC running window, Click the CD Menu and from there ask it to use Physical Drive x: and click action and Ctrl+alt+del, now you would see VPC is booting from Windows 98 CD....

and it will work with ISO too,

guru said:

Not an issue as Virtual HDD would b in FAT or FAT32 format !!!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Choto Cheeta said:
err... Just Windows Print Screen and with ALTR+CTRL to capture the present window rather than the whole screen :D
Alt+Print Screen is enough! No need for Ctrl ;)

OP
G

guru

Broken In
Ok , I installed VMware 5.5 and running vista home premium.

But Internet is not working. I have an Airtel connection, with login directly from my modem.

( As I am using Intel Board, How can i install drivers , as it says no intel board found ?)

And is it possible to move/copy files between your host and virtual machine.

Last edited:

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
guru said:
Ok , I installed VMware 5.5 and running vista home premium.

But Internet is not working. I have an Airtel connection, with login directly from my modem.

( As I am using Intel Board, How can i install drivers , as it says no intel board found ?)

And is it possible to move/copy files between your host and virtual machine.

Edit Virtual Machine and EDIT Ethernet. Use NAT to share connection. Add HDD to share physical HDD :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom