setting up smtp servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravan

Subbu loves Technology
Plz tell me how to install a smtp server in the system.
Tell me about one server and how to configure it so as to send mails through it
plz its urgent..........

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Plz tell me how to install a smtp server in the system.
Tell me about one server and how to configure it so as to send mails through it
plz its urgent..........

hmm...here is the link for your problem...*s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/2.png

*www.ehow.com/how_2179337_server-computer-post-cast-server.html

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Your platform? How are you connected to the internet? You want to setup a relay server or direct relay? You want it as a dedicated mail server or for certain web apps eg. php forms?
For latter ones, have a look at xampp, which bundles in a mail server.

mehulved

I haven't worked on windows platform, so can't help much. But, google gives out lots of results. Depends on what you want now, free or paid and also what types of features you require.

Some other important considerations.
Do you have static IP? Has the DNS been setup properly? especially the reverse lookup?
Do put proper spam filtering in place. Good firewall policy is quintessential, don't let your server turn to open relay on the internet for spammers.
Also, check if your IP isn't in any kind of blacklists or your mail might go to spam or worse be rejected by mail server.
And, if you have non-Outlook users using the server avoid MS Exchange as far as possible.
And it would be good to implement tls, imaps/pop3s if people will be connecting via pop3/imap to the server, especially over wireless connections.

Last edited:

mehulved

Well, you will have to ask them to open port 25 then. And you will need a static IP and domain name pointing to your PC and configured, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom