Setting up a router for wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyboosh

Broken In
Hi there,

I'm an Indian student in the UK and I live in a house with 3 other friends and we finally got an internet connection (a 4 mb/s) and want to share it with a router. Now i know nothing of routers or networking so i went to a second hand shop and got a Belkian (sp?) router (because i heard two of my class mates say they were using Belkian and it was working alright)

The internet setup was done today (and i'm waiting for the pin to start using the internet), and i have the modem in my room, so i was attempting to set up the router today, and blegh i couldn't! I'll try and explain my problem and maybe you can help!

the initial wire (that comes through the garden) is connected directly into the modem, apart from this there's only an ethernet port and a power port on the modem.

Right, my router resembles this picture i found on google;
*i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/mushroomcloudwarrior/Q77393-back.jpg

Now, the other end of the ethernet port from the modem does not fit into the 'Line' (aslabeled in the picture) However, it goes into the other ethernet ports (big surprise)
Now if i plug the ethernet port from the modem into one of those ethernet jacks, is that right/okay?

With the modem, i got a little box like thing which according to the router manual is to be connected into the dsl phone line. Now, i've tried all the combinations and i can't get to use that (and there's no DSL phone line!). The 'Line' (pointed out in the pic) is compatable with the smaller wires (the normal phone line wires)

I'm thorughly confused and i've probably confused you..but if you did understand what i'm trying to say, will you please try and help me out a bit.

EDIT: If you can help me set this up, can you provide a link to where i can read how to keep the network password protected? and do i need a 128 bit encryption, can someone tell me?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom