Setting the Motherboard USB ports at USB 2 speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravishankars

Right off the assembly line
The USB ports on my Intel Motherboard D865GBF are capable of running at USB 2 speeds as per Intel's Specs. However whenever a USB 2 device is connected there is a message that the USB 2 device has been connected to a USB 1 port and transfer speeds default to USB 1. How can I tweak my motherboard to make the ports behave as USB 2 ports?

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
U need to install the USB 2.0 drivers provided on the driver cd or u can download them from Intel's site.Also don't forget to install the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility.

theraven

Technomancer
yeah u WILL need usb 2.0 drivers
but also they might have coupled a couple of usb 1.1 ports as well
so try another port
( they did this is 845 i THINK )

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I read some where in the manual of my mobo that "To enable high speed USB 2 port you must install SP2 (XP) (SP4 for win 2000)". and also update to the latest mobo drivers .

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Enabling Hi-Speed USB 2.0

Windows* XP
Windows* XP Service Pack 1 must be installed to support Hi-Speed USB 2.0. Windows XP Service Pack 1 is available from Microsoft's support web site at: *support.microsoft.com †. Hi-Speed USB 2.0 must be manually enabled on Windows XP systems that have been upgraded to Service Pack 1.

To manually enable Hi-Speed USB 2.0 once Service Pack 1 has been installed, complete the following steps:

1.Open the Device Manager for Windows XP
2.In the Other devices list, double-click the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
3.Select the Driver tab at the top of the Universal Serial Bus (USB)
4.Controller Properties window
5.Click on the button labeled Update Driver
6.Click on the Next button
7.Click on the Finish button
8.Click on the Close button

Hi-Speed USB 2.0 should now be enabled. Close the Device Manager and continue to install the necessary drivers using the Intel® Express Installer CD.

Source
Charan

Huzefa

Journeyman
Guys, How do I know for sure If my PC supports USB 2 ? My config is AMD 64 bit , WIN XP SP2, Its one n half yr old PC , My device manager lists out under USB controllers --- 1 Generic USB Hub , 4 instances of "SiS 7001 PCI to USB open host controller" and 1 of USB mass storage drive , 1 of USB printing Support, and 4 instances of "USB Root Hub" But nowhere does it say USB 2.0 , SO how can I be sure what speeds of USB's I have ? Pls Help

Tech&ME

Banned
Huzefa said:
Guys, How do I know for sure If my PC supports USB 2 ? My config is AMD 64 bit , WIN XP SP2, Its one n half yr old PC , My device manager lists out under USB controllers --- 1 Generic USB Hub , 4 instances of "SiS 7001 PCI to USB open host controller" and 1 of USB mass storage drive , 1 of USB printing Support, and 4 instances of "USB Root Hub" But nowhere does it say USB 2.0 , SO how can I be sure what speeds of USB's I have ? Pls Help

Look for the word "Enhanced" Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If you cannot find any USB listing there with the word Enhanced , you do not have the USB2.0 ports.

Huzefa

Journeyman
as I wrote b4 , one little mistake, there r 3 listings of "SiS 7001 PCI to USB open host controller" and 1 of USB enhanced host controller , ie "SiS PCI to USB Enhanced host controller " , So I guess I have USB 2.0 , right ? . But how do I know which USB out of the 4 USB ports available on the back of the PC MOBO is the USB 2 one ?? thankx. I've got 4 more listings of "USB Root Hub".

Huzefa

Journeyman
Guys I really need to know how to detect which one othe 4 USB ports on the back of the PC MOBO is the USB 2 one ? Is there some software used to detect the USB 2 port ? Thnkx

Tech&ME

Banned
Huzefa said:
Guys I really need to know how to detect which one othe 4 USB ports on the back of the PC MOBO is the USB 2 one ? Is there some software used to detect the USB 2 port ? Thnkx

If you are ready to spend money buy this product

*www.uxd.com/qtusb2.shtml

But Wait, why spend money when you can determine it yourself.

Follow this steps:

Step 1: Open Device Manager

Step 2: Go the USB Host Controller and right click on it and Select Properties

Step 3: On the Properties Windows that opens Click on the POWER tab

Step 4: On this tab view, look for the "Total Power Available = 500mA per port

So, if it says 500mA, the ports are USB2.0

TIP : Go to the last USB Host Controller and perform the above steps, all your USB ports will be listed here together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom