service packs of win xp

do u ppl install all the updates or r choosy abt them?

• no only some

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no service packs for me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
this thread is for discussing the usability(if any) of service packs. they add security but they also seem to slow down the machine. dont exactly know. plz discuss abt all this here

sakumar79

Technomancer
I too think Service packs are very important... But I wait about a month from their release to see if others are facing installation problems etc... Usually doesnt happen, but I like to be on the safer side...

Arun

mohit

The Hardware Labs
i make it a point to keep my system updated ... i am on sp2 and i dont notice any perfomance drop ..still i think its better to have a lil slower system than having a unsecure system with a million exploits.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
mohit wrote:
i make it a point to keep my system updated ... i am on sp2 and i dont notice any perfomance drop ..still i think its better to have a lil slower system than having a unsecure system with a million exploits.
@vijay_7287 and @sakumar79, totall agre with u guys :) yup SPs are important to keep the system free (Not absolutely but atleast) from any problems.

But guys, tell me one thing, I hv a Pirated WIN XP PRO and i use SP2, so is it advisable to update/d load stuff via Automatic Updates (as how SP2 tells me to turn ON that feature) ?? :? :?

CHeers n e-peace.....

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
well i donno if they slow down the compu or not. i started a thread discussing abt this and many said that it is due to new softwares. only new software that ran continuously was those packs. anyways even i download them for the security provided.

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
ashu888ashu888 said:
mohit wrote:
@vijay_7287 and @sakumar79, totall agre with u guys :) yup SPs are important to keep the system free (Not absolutely but atleast) from any problems.

But guys, tell me one thing, I hv a Pirated WIN XP PRO and i use SP2, so is it advisable to update/d load stuff via Automatic Updates (as how SP2 tells me to turn ON that feature) ?? :? :?

CHeers n e-peace.....

well in most updates it dosent mater if ur windows is original or not. but yes in one specific download of windows journal from microsoft they first downloaded a software to chk if my windows was original or not. dont downloads that!!! otherwise there wld be no prob so keep updating.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
shashanktyagi1 wrote:
well in most updates it dosent mater if ur windows is original or not. but yes in one specific download of windows journal from microsoft they first downloaded a software to chk if my windows was original or not. dont downloads that!!! otherwise there wld be no prob so keep updating.
Thanx for ur reply bro :) but can u tell me (from ur knowledge) wich file/windows journal will i find this kind of confirmation asked by MS ?? Shud i jus blankly d/load wat ever files are prompted to me in the D/load screen list ??? :? :?

Also, Updates (total of 38 updates were d/laoded and installed on my system) were d/loaded by the Automatic Update feature, Now how can i knw wat update is suitable for me and wat isint ? :? Shud we blindly d/load updates wat ever is available ?? (as in Express and Custom Install for Updates??) and Where are the updates kept (Stored) so that we can cum to knw wat updates we are having on our system? :?

:?: Please, Im a complete novice to this, so all u techies can guide me the right way.. :)

Cheers n e-peace.....

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
ashu888ashu888 said:
shashanktyagi1 wrote:
Thanx for ur reply bro :) but can u tell me (from ur knowledge) wich file/windows journal will i find this kind of confirmation asked by MS ?? Shud i jus blankly d/load wat ever files are prompted to me in the D/load screen list ??? :? :?

Also, Updates (total of 38 updates were d/laoded and installed on my system) were d/loaded by the Automatic Update feature, Now how can i knw wat update is suitable for me and wat isint ? :? Shud we blindly d/load updates wat ever is available ?? (as in Express and Custom Install for Updates??) and Where are the updates kept (Stored) so that we can cum to knw wat updates we are having on our system? :?

:?: Please, Im a complete novice to this, so all u techies can guide me the right way.. :)

Cheers n e-peace.....

windows journal is a specific program needed to use handwriting feature in msn messenger(used for some other purpose also which i didnt bother abt). it was not included in regular update from automatic updates. updates frm automatic updates are not softwares but just some modification in codes. they cant be uninstalled. most of them r just codes which r upgraded to block some existing loophole. u can be choosy abt some of them. like earlier i didnt use outlook so i never downloaded any update related to outlook. but now with broadband i dont worry abt it and download all of them. there is no harm( except abt slow pc which i am not sure abt). so bee choosy only to save net else download all. when service packs come they take a long time to download(there is option to uninstall service packs).

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
shashanktyagi1 wrote:
windows journal is a specific program needed to use handwriting feature in msn messenger(used for some other purpose also which i didnt bother abt). it was not included in regular update from automatic updates. updates frm automatic updates are not softwares but just some modification in codes. they cant be uninstalled. most of them r just codes which r upgraded to block some existing loophole. u can be choosy abt some of them. like earlier i didnt use outlook so i never downloaded any update related to outlook. but now with broadband i dont worry abt it and download all of them. there is no harm( except abt slow pc which i am not sure abt). so bee choosy only to save net else download all. when service packs come they take a long time to download(there is option to uninstall service packs).
Thanx a lot for ur detailed querry bro :):) it helped me alot. Yup even i hv d/loaded all the reqd. updates..thanx again :)

Cheers n e-peace....

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
sometimes i get unofficial update packages(forgotten where but sometime in digit also not sure). anyone got any info on that?

Adhip007

Journeyman
SP dont at all slow down PCs But they sometimes take Harddisk space. If ur low on space u must clean Temp files in ur C drive
and should us old file compression.

himtuna

Journeyman
What do you mean by updates.
They are meant for some soe.....
I don't know; that's why I install every thing
Autopatcher, SPx, and all those softs that claims to fasten my desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom