Serious problem

Discussion in 'QnA (read only)' started by cooldip10, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooldip10

cooldip10 New Member

Hi guys, Hope someone can resolve it soon...

This is related to internet.. I was using a pirated version of Windows XP Professional SP2 earlier but recently shifted to Genuine Windows XP Home SP2. The problem is that I'm having MTNL Broad Band service for internet.see one thing, Whenever I'm idle (i.e. Not surfing , just writing a post for digit forum) the net should not transfer any data. But it does!! no I'm not kidding... There's some kind of transfer of data taking place on the net, and it doesn't stop, it just goes on and on and on till i close my net... JUST LIKE GHOSTS.. I've searched through SPYBOT but nothing. I'm using Avast 4.7 home edition, which shows okay with the system... Now how will you explain this??
    Another thing, a account was created named something like "ASP.NET" limited one. I deleted it. the only thing i can say is Genuine windows didn't help me any way. the older one was much better and free of problems.....

Hope anyone can say something

2. unni

unni New Member

Hi cooldip10,
    I suggest you to use a firewall. I think almost everybody in this forum uses ZoneAlarm or Outpost. I have been using Comodo Personal Firewall for the past two weeks. It shows which applications are accessing which IPs through which ports and the amount of data transferred by each of them. It is almost easy even for a beginner. ZoneAlarm Free is also good. Please also use AdAware. If you want to make absolutely sure that there is nothing in your system even after a virus and adware scanning, I suggest you to use PrevX for atleast two or three days. PrevX is an Intrusion Detection and/or prevension system that shows what's going on in your system-like which application is accessing which files and so on. If you are installing it along with a firewall (which is a must), be prepared for a lot of popups asking your permissions to allow applications to access the net. The only reason I no longer use PrevX is because while running it, my system is atleast 40% slower. While performing a full system scan, PrevX detected 6 trojans in my system in some files that I have downloaded from certain sites, that weren't previously detected by Norton 2005, Avast 4.6 or AVG Free-all with latest updates. I don't think those were false alerts. Try a port scanner too. It also shows which ports are opened by which programs. I have earlier tried ActivePorts. But I am not 100% sure how good it is. And another software I want to suggest is SandBoxie. It is supposed to provide a virtual environment where you can safely open files or programs, without worrying them about doing any harm to your computer. All these softwares are freewares.

The ASP.NET user account is created when .NET Framework is installed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  3. mihirvashist

mihirvashist New Member

well from your description i think that your system has a worm with an unidentified signature..
    anti-virus scans the drive looking for certain signatures from their database which is constantly updated by the patches you sownload(if you do)..
    so this worm has not been noticed by avast! guys and hence has sneaked into ur system...
    this worm can be a massmailing worm which sends itself to other ppl...

or the other thing is that your computer has a trojan installed....
    or another spyware..
    or maybe a keylogger..
    which are sending ur info to the attacler who has installed it/them.....
    and plz don't tell me that ur antivirus didn't detect it Bcuz it is possible to change the sign. and make the trojan/spyware/keylogger/worm difficult to detect by some programming

well that's all i know...
    try getting the security updates from microsoft's website.
    -------------------------------------------------
    offtopic:-don't mind but why did you choose XP HOME over XP PRO..
    XP HOME stinks,
    don't mind though it was just a question?

4. djmykey

djmykey Let the music play.....

See first use a well known antivirus with all the latest updates. Im not sure abt AVAST but u can use Kaspersky if u get ur hands on them. I rely on KAV. U should also use a firewall, ZA is the most common one. See whatever suites u. This should solve your problem. Check if your Automatic Updates are enabled. If yes then Windows XP is using up the idle bandwidth to install the updates on your machine. If you r annoyed by that you can disable it. Check this windows update thingy first.

5. Official Techie

Official Techie New Member

i dont think automatic updates is a good thing it cramps up the system once i could not reinstall windows because of them i had to format the whole hdd

6. kumarmohit

kumarmohit New Member

Dude do you kno wat is the difference bw XP home and XP Pro???

Just FYI there is not much of a difference in the two unless you want to use encrypting file system or join a network with a domain controller. and ho many ppl in India use SPM computers ie comps having 2 physical MPs

Just becoz its a Home edition does not mean its stinks who will use a XPPro for above 8 grand if u get XP home for just above 3 grand

I wud suggest dat u first go and read da differences in XP Pro and Home

7. TechGuru#1

TechGuru#1 New Member

Bahar se koi andhar na aa sake........aur andhar se bhi koi bahhar na ja sake...
    socho to aisa ho, to kya hai

....hum tum ..firewall use karne lage!

lol Simply use a Firewall...dude!....tabhi bhoot ka bap bhi bhage ga!

8. ilugd

ilugd Beware of the innocent

type at the run menu, cmd, then in the command prompt type netstat -a -n. Copy the listing and post here

9. the.kaushik

the.kaushik œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜

stop ur auto update and see and also try ilugd style..copy the ip shown connected there and check them what they are using any browser..

10. JGuru

JGuru Well-Known Member

Simple. Install ZoneAlarm firewall (www.zonelabs.com). It can monitor all the Net
    activity like port scanning, which program tries to connects to the Net etc.,
    Also don't use IE browser, most adwares use IE to connect to the Net!!
    Use FireFox or Opera. If ZoneAlarm displays a dialog that a program tries to connect
    to the Net & it looks suspicious.Then block it Net access. As simple as that.
    Also install antispyware like SpyBot or Spy Sweeper & do a full System scan.
    Disable auto update!!

11. shashank4u

shashank4u Member

use firewalls or get a specialized port scanners,google it.

12. mediator

mediator New Member

Yea use zonealarm! And u didnt hav to delete asp.net account....I think its necessary for .net libraries or whateva!

13. OP
    OP
    cooldip10

cooldip10 New Member

I didn't get one thing clear.. What's the use of "ASP.NET" user account

14. anandk

anandk Distinguished Member

i trust that u have scanned ur pc with ur antivirus/anti-spy in safe mode, and cleared ur pc junk using a tool like say ccleaner.

u can scan ur pc in safe mode with g-data anti-worm from http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4638

keep ur xp fireawall on, and also install zonealarm. check for suspicious alerts from za, ven connected. posting ur hijackthis logfile here or at www.hijackthis.de for scrutiny wud be a good idea.

quite posbly, ur win updates, av/anti-spy updates may also be trying to connect ven online. u may have to disable them if u dont want them connecting thus !

this link shud help u
    http://asp.net/getstarted/default.aspx?tabid=61

15. OP
    OP
    cooldip10

cooldip10 New Member

Hey My prob is over. But it cost me to reinstall the Windows... But can anyone help me out with Zone Alarm
    :)

16. QwertyManiac

QwertyManiac Commander in Chief

Just give access to known and trusted exes through ZoneAlarm, that'll do, it takes some time teaching it really.

17. nil_3

nil_3 New Member

One off-topic request to cooldip10: isn't it possible to change your avater as it matches with that of Go4Saket?

18. OP
    OP
    cooldip10

cooldip10 New Member

Sure dude!! Its okay with me.... I'll cahnge it as quickly as possible...
    Hey nil_3 where do you stay in Kolkata??

19. aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade Console Junkie

I also had this problem. The broadband people say I downlooaded 600MB's in 10 days while the biggest file size that I downloaded was about 25 MBs. I use Windows Defender. It found a worm and removed it. Now the system works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.