Sending and Receiving without any user activity How ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huzefa

Journeyman
Recently I have noticed my dial up networking window, I have a Tata dial-up unlimited a/c, keeps on sending and receiving something without me using any IE windows or any internet related stuff and without my permission, So hows this possible..... ? :?

I have scanned with AD-Aware latest one and NAV2004, Yet this problem persists Any One with the same thing going on ?? Any Ideas ? :shock:

Also How can I detect whatever program / code is using the Internet without actually asking permission ?

digen

Youngling
Hmm I would suggest you get TCPView & check whether any program/application is accessing the internet in the background.If possible post a screenshot.
But I hope all application requiring internet access such as IM,P2P apps are closed.

OP
H

Huzefa

Journeyman
IM, both yahoo and MSN, closed do not have any P2P stuff running around . Nope Still the same thing happens . Can TCPview show that particular program which may be using the Internet ?

digen

Youngling
Yes which program,which Protocol,which port...Just check that link I gave dude.You will find all its features & inofrmation there.

EDIT:It could be also the case where your ISP sends random arbitary packets to see if the host is alive & your machine replies to that packets in turn.I've read this many a times but never personally experienced such a thing.Dont count on me on this one but you may as well ask other users from the same ISP if they experience such a thing.

S

saptak

dood just get a firewall <zone alarm____in ur digit CD> and only manually allow access to progs whomever and whenever u need to.
I think it will help!!!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Hmmm I have a ISP which gives me 1gb a month and I see those blue light even without any activity.

The ISP is sending packets and the it is been acknowledged. (as digen said) . This will be in tune of 20-60 bytes only , so you wont loose much.

digen

Youngling
Its not the case of loosing bandwidth grudge but instead some software or malicious program phoning home[attackers backdoor] :)

drgrudge

^^
I never think about :D As you know , i have no AV, no Antispyware or firewall in my PC for atleast 8 month , and till now nothing has happened, when I had AV only I was infected with a virus which deleted all the .dll files in system32 folder and I had to do some changes and format my HDD, now I have leart my leason! I have no AV and my system is fast :p

It's not about BW also what can be achieved in 30-60 bytes (maybe , but I dont know)?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
a lot can be achieved in 30-60 bytes grudge. It size of a request for a backdoor or trojan is extremely small. And if you see an incoming echo/ping request is usually 32 bytes of data. A lot can be achieved...size does not matter :p

anomit

In the zone
icecoolz said:
a lot can be achieved in 30-60 bytes grudge. It size of a request for a backdoor or trojan is extremely small. And if you see an incoming echo/ping request is usually 32 bytes of data. A lot can be achieved...size does not matter :p

Yah, he is right. Thats why most of them use the UDP protocol.

iinfi

mekalodu
i assume the tata fone which u r using is the FWP one ....
i have a LG LSP-340E fone frm Reliance ...

this fone has a habit of beeping every few seconds if there is no network activity and after about a minute or so the connection goes dead and u will be forced to disconnect and reconnect .....

there have been many protests by the net users in the past

but for the past month or so i have seen that even if there is no network activity the beeps continue to come but the connection does not go dead .....

this may be due to, as digen said, the ISP sending some packets of data to keep the network alive ....

i think TATA is also doing the same ......

hope this helps ...
cheers...

drgrudge

@ icecoolz,anomit &iinfi (and other in case you are interested)
Plz see this topic which I have written:

Are "Condoms" required?
*forum.oobertech.net/Are_Condoms_requiredl-t624.html

It's not as you think ;)

I actually dont give a damn abt security :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom