Sempron Vs Athlon...Urgent!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nphanindra

Broken In
Planning to buy a new Mobo+cpu in 2 days (for a Non-Gamer) but unable to decide the cpu for 754 pin mobo. Need ur suggestions to choose between Athlon or Sempron.
MotherBoard I chose is ASUS K8V-MX
Proccys in my mind are AMD 64 - 2800+ & Sempron 64 - 2600
The Price difference between these two is more than 2k so is it worth enuf to buy athlon ahead of Sempron for a non gamer
thanx in advance

asdf1223

Journeyman
the sempron 2600+ 64 gives a 75% perfomance with about 50% cost of a 2800+ 64 bit athlon. so if u're not a gamer then its a very good option.its a gr8 ocer too.

OP
N

nphanindra

Broken In
Performance wise how far is 64 bit better than 32 bit (I mean how gud is a 32bit 1.6Ghz cpu compared to 64bit 1.6Ghz one). If there is not much difference I can get a Socket A (462) Sempron Processor instead of sempron 64(754 pin).

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
The performance difference between the two is pretty less. I'd estimate it to be around 10 ~ 15% on account of the 200Mhz lower clock speed, and lower L2 cache.
If you're looking to save some bucks, no harm going for the Sempron.

But I would definately say NO to the 32-bit Sempron. The Socket 754 architecture is highly advanced compared to the Socket A one, and that would definately give you a significant boost leaving aside the 32-bit vs 64-bit criteria.

asdf1223

Journeyman
socket a(462) is on life support.upgrading is the real problem.whereas the socket 754 got a boost nforce 4 boards(pcie,sata 2) and xpress 200(x200se onboard,pcie).so a sempron 2600+(754)is a really good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom