Seeking Help From Advanced Users Only...

Status
Not open for further replies.

saROMan

QA Juggler
Its happned again :cry: .....and being a Advanced User i have tryed the Normal Solutions and Failed so want help from Advanced Users Only who can Understand my problem......

My comp config is PIII-533Mhz,256MB Ram,SiS 630 Onboard Chipset .....From long time i have been using XP as my OS ..Currently i am using XP-SP2 Integrated...Though my Chipset Does not Support 1024*786@32Bits@75Hrz but i am Using my Display at 1024*786@16Bits@60Hrz with out Problem....but now the Problem is When Ever i use the Above Config my Icons Turn to 16 Color :?: ..insted of 16Bit..where as when i use my Display as 800*600@32Bit ...i get the Useual XP icons with Alpha Blending etc...

I have Done every possible tweak to ge rid of this problem but no use......I have tryed to Repair icons using TweakUI....tryed to change the Default Color profile , Uninstall/Reinstall Display Drivers..even replace shell32.dll etc etc..but no use...now i am Stuck to Buggy 800*600 resolution......I am Giving a Screenshot of how my Icons look in the 2 Diff Resolutions...Plz help ..coz I know the last option is to reinstall XP..which i dont want to do again..coz i format my PC a Few days back only..

1024*786

*img220.echo.cx/img220/3254/bad6xx.jpg

800*600

*img230.echo.cx/img230/9677/good2qb.jpg

D

dinesh_singh

u said u used that resolution without any hitch.....
then do u rem...after what or when u start to have a probelm.any driver update....any unusaul shutdown...any thing u changed.if u were having no problem with it before then it shuld not be now.but if u are having problems now then something is wrong.so try remembring any change u did to ur system.have u upgraded directx...or display drivers.also have u changed ur monitor type in display properties.

try remembring:-
1:-what was ur directx version when everything was fine
2:-what was ur monitor type
3:-what was ur disply driver version

the whole problem lies inside these.....
post me with it

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Some times 3rd party softwares cr8 this kind of problem... hard to explain which software is reponsable... now to b sure if u have an extra free HDD partition then try a complete separate installtion of deferent windows... see whats happens there without any other software....

OP
saROMan

saROMan

QA Juggler
well frankly speakin..i havnt done any major changes resently..nor with Directx nor with Display Drivers....well suddenly one day the Icons started showing wierd colors..that to for no apperent reason.....Guess will have to Format it again ..:p....also tryed replacing the system files but no use...may b frequent Power Cuts(+ Lack of UPS)..has taken its Toll :(:(:(

expertno.1

Technomancer
and u know my weired problem

one i satrted the computer and oops there was no 85 Hz option (earlier it was) it was restricted to 75 Hz

nothing had happend...reinsatlling drivers....nothing helped...posted here..no one helped.....reinsatlled xp..thats helped

dude.......i had a 630 CF SiS mobo.............

it ran fine at 1024*768*32bit*70hz

its not a h/w problem.......SP2 messed wid my drivers.........

try reinstalin da drivers......

if dat dont wrk...........

reinstall............

Tech&ME

Banned
dude u are doing something u should not. Actually what happens is if you force a resolution that is not actually supported by your mobo display capabilities or the onboard graphics, frankly i will suggest not to.

I will tell u a case which happend with me. I also did what you are tring to do. I had only problem with the Windows Media Player Icon, which started getting blurred , and surprisingly one after a week or so, one fine day the Onboard Graphics subsystem blew off. YA !! There was nothing visible on the screen. But the computer was running fine with no problem but only I couldnot see anything on the screen. I took the mobo to the vendor for repair and he repair the graphics subsystem and adviced me not to change the graphics resolution since the mobo doesnot support that resolution.

Hence, I suggest you to consult your mobo manual as to what graphics resolution your mobo can support and if there is any BIOS and Graphics update necessary for the new resolution to be supported.

premrajeev

Journeyman
your problem must be SP2. SP2 installs DX9 by default, which ur old sis drivers wont support. try obtaining newer version video drivers(which is hard to find) or try removing sp2. anyway, u r stressing ur graphic sub system.

i guess u r having a 17"monitor..in that case , i can understand the pain having run at 800x600..I have a 19" crt, which i love to keep at 1200x1024@100hz....my monitor is damn good and i use a 5200fx128mb agp..i cant even imagine running this at 800x600...

why dont u get urself a decent graphic card if ur mobo is equipped w/an agp slot ?? agp cards r so cheap now..but if u r stuck with pci slots..no way..u have to invest at leaast 4k for a card, which is not adviseable 4 ur system..

OP
saROMan

saROMan

QA Juggler
OK..thx a lot for the Replys....I have Opted the ultimate solution Format :(.....any ways....But it was really Buging me that i could not find the solution to my Problem..and was really frustrated...But finally i Got it ....:):):) ........

Herz the problem....

very few users have reported that installation and use of XP PowerToys causes desktop icons to revert to older (pre-XP) forms. When this occurs, the cause is corruption of Registry keys

so its a registry problem .....

This is the Solution for Poor Souls Like Me Who have faced the problem......

please Visit *aumha.org/regfiles.php#xpicons and d/l the XP Icon Repair. Patch

expertno.1

Technomancer
hmm u r smart enough to solve urs problem

and thats corrupt icon thingy is a mystery
..i never got it...even using xp powr toys...donno why u got

premrajeev

Journeyman
hey certain hardware setup is known to have problems with certain combination of software..so it's natural and case to case..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom