Seeder warning - Fake torrents

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
The battle between P2P networks and copyright holders seems to be a never ending battle.

The MPAA, RIAA and several anti-piracy organizations are constantly trying to trap alleged pirates into downloading fake torrents. These torrents are hosted on trackers that are setup to collect IP addresses of all the pirates who try to download these files and these anti-piracy watchdogs send copyright infringement letters to the concerned ISPs and rare prosecution. Other than catching the pirates, MPAA has another bird in its hands.

Awareness of the fake torrents by numerous blogs & anti-piracy campaign among the populace had made everyone aware of the possibility of fake torrents on the internet, they may stop and think twice about downloading that latest movie, thus reducing piracy.

But then, for every problem there is a solution. Fenopy just introduced the FakeFinder which helps detect most of these fake torrents. The FakeFinder lists the most popular fake torrents and the latest fake trackers. It also allows you to search for fake torrents by keyword or infohash. It also allows you to search for fake torrents by keyword or infohash.

Full Info Here

*fenopy.com/fakefinder/image/Logo.png

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
You can also probably figure out whether a torrent's fake simply by looking at the torrent statistics (seed/peer count and availability), or even the comments, if the torrent tracker/index supports that.
That's the mayb way. A guarantee might b Fenopy :D

How to Find Fake Torrents Uploaded by the MPAA and RIAA

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I know a guaranteed way of identifying whether the torrent is fake. If you use Azureus, simply look at the swarm. If the swarm has a lot of people and none of them have the full file (i.e. the blue pie chart of all the peers has a slice of white), it is a fake torrent. Check for this whenever you start a download. :)

I don't know about other torrent clients though. However, Azureus is the best torrent client.

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
^^^
Yes... check out the peers tab while downloading. There % stands for % of file with that guy... If @least 1 100% exists, the chances r that it's not fake :D
*img294.imageshack.us/img294/7/untitled1lc4.jpg

& µTorrent is better than the best :D

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, yeah. I forgot about µTorrent. Sorry! :oops:

It, indeed, is the best. :)

And koolbluez is right, of course. You can check it out on µTorrent too. It is guaranteed that the file isn't a fake even if one seeder (a peer with 100% of the data) exists. :)

I think we Indian shud not be worried for the time being..and Its always better to download torrents from trusted sites and forums and read user reviews before u start downloading...and also use encryption while downloading.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
kirangp said:
hehe koolbluez blurred ur filename....downloading something illegal??;)
Do people use torrents for downloading legal thigs too! :eek:

... I know they do. I am just trying to exaggerate the fact that 99% of torrent activity is about illegal stuff. I do it, koolbluez does it, you do it - the whole technically unchallenged world does it. :p
I think we Indian shud not be worried for the time being..and Its always better to download torrents from trusted sites and forums and read user reviews before u start downloading...and also use encryption while downloading.
Fake torrents do not target non-Indians. Anyone can be a victim of a fake torrent and I am speaking from experience here.

And there is no better way of downloading large files than the BitTorrent network. If you deny this, you either haven't used it - or you could not use it effectively when you tried to because of a lack of experience. :p

Last edited:
OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
I'm just maintainin my privacy guyz... it can b a linux live cd too :D

If I really wanted to play good, I could even put a nice filename there to look real.. bein an OK photoshopper I'm. Not just blur/hazied :D

Blurred to point out the necessary portions, though :D

Last edited:
Fake torrents do not target non-Indians. Anyone can be a victim of a fake torrent and I am speaking from experience here.

And there is no better way of downloading large files than the BitTorrent network. If you deny this, you either haven't used it - or you could not use it effectively when you tried to because of a lack of experience.

I guess u didnt understand was I was trying to say..off course it hurts when u start downloading a fake torrent and get stuck at 99.9%....and off course Indians can also suffer,but the point of discussion is that LEAs are trying to track pirates,which is difficult in INDIA ,as they are no precise cyber laws..and thats why I said,that as INDIANs ,we dnt have much to worry about..just d/l from trusted torrent sites....

And abt my exp with Torrents,I usually download 30GB plus data everymonth on torrents,even while running on a shared 256Kbps connection.This fact itself says how much I knw abt P2P. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Me too.. Alok :D
y do u suppose I jumped to an unlimited 256kbps connection :D
No count of data downloaded/uploaded. I hate restrictions. A free bird...

^^^^Even me..and Now I have started using my User id for daytime access...and my frnds limited connection's id for night access..Yesterday I finished downloading a 900MB file in little over 3 Hrs..I wont disclose what that file was though :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom