Secondary IDE channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaurav

In the zone
Each time I start my machine I get a message in the system tray saying "found new hardware Secondary IDE channel" and after this my CD writer is not listed in the my computer. when i checked device manager a red cross marker is displayed next to the secondary ide channel, I right clicked it selected "enable" and it worked. But i had to do the same each time I start my computer. :( HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Using windows xp sp2, Pentium III 750 MHz, 256 MB RAM, ASUS 52x CD Writer (connected as secondary Master), Samsung DVD ROM

hafees

In the zone
which mother board do u have? did you installed the motherboard drivers?? most probably you didnt.

eddie

El mooooo
Have you tried uninstalling the secondary channel? Right Click --> Uninstall --> Restart? After restart, it will detect the channel automatically and set all the drivers for you.

eddie

El mooooo
If you read the original post, you'll find that after enabling the channel from Device Manager, he is able to use the drive. If the channel was disabled from BIOS that would've been impossible.

OP
Gaurav

Gaurav

In the zone
eddie said:
Have you tried uninstalling the secondary channel? Right Click --> Uninstall --> Restart? After restart, it will detect the channel automatically and set all the drivers for you.

I tried it but after the third or fourth restart the problem appeared again :cry: . One more thing after the device has been enabled (CD Writer), in my computer the CD Writer is shown as a normal CD Drive :evil: , earlier it used to show CD-RW drive, also it doesnot autoplay any CD (though Autoplay function is enabled for it).

Moreover the secondary IDE channel is enabled in the BIOS, I have checked it.

The problem has been appearing since I reinstalled windows XP. It used to disappear after reinstalling Intel Application Accelerator but this time it's not resolved.

HELLLLLP!!!:(:(:(:( :cry: :cry: :cry: :(

eddie

El mooooo
In my search on google (which wasn't very fruitful), I have found a mention of mobo battery getting weak. You can try replacing it to see if it works. Also try changing IDE cables.

OP
Gaurav

Gaurav

In the zone
I think I should no flash my BIOS because the make is too old (purchased it in year 2000) and i don't think there's an update available for my mobo, also don't want to take any risk regarding failure to my mobo.

Will replacing the ide cables solve the problem?

mvishnu

Broken In
i wanted 2 ask..

did u install any starforce protected game or NFS MW?

the pirated version of nfs mw sometimes needs u to disable 2ndry ide cntrlr...

OP
Gaurav

Gaurav

In the zone
mvishnu said:
i wanted 2 ask..

did u install any starforce protected game or NFS MW?

the pirated version of nfs mw sometimes needs u to disable 2ndry ide cntrlr...

my brother, there's no point of installing such high end games on a 810e based machine(they will not run at all). and what's the reason of disabling a controller (they don't run if you have a virtual drive installed like virutal clone drive or alcohol etc..)

please help, the problem is driving me nuts...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :cry:

mvishnu

Broken In
Gaurav said:
my brother, there's no point of installing such high end games on a 810e based machine(they will not run at all). and what's the reason of disabling a controller (they don't run if you have a virtual drive installed like virutal clone drive or alcohol etc..)

please help, the problem is driving me nuts...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :cry:

oh! i didnt know you had an 82810e.

by the way, the game will look at the virtual cd, and think it is the real cd if it finds no "real" drives I think that's why the cracker told me to disable 2ndry ide cntrlr..

BBTW, y dont u try a sys. restore to a date earlier than the beginning of this problem?

I am sorry, but i can think of no other ans,

varungupta17

Broken In
I too had faced similar problem but not the same. I had followed the following procedure. U too can follow it. I think the registry handles are corrupted...

Open device manager and uninstall ur cdwriter (if it is listed)
Then open the line called "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and uninstall all "secondary IDE channels".
Then restart ur comp and see if it works...

Even then the problem comes then restart ur comp by disconnecting the power cable of cdwriter and remove all "secondary IDE channels".

Atlast even if ur problem is not solved then there might be a problem with the power supply cable from smps to the cdrw... Try changing it with other cables...

Also try to configure ur cdwriter as primary master one time as there might a problem with the secondary ide channel.....

Even if ur problem is not solved then chances r that ur cdwriter is defective.

OP
Gaurav

Gaurav

In the zone
varungupta17 I think u'r right bcos I tried updating the firmware of my CD-Writer 5 months back and it failed(got repaired, it was in warranty).
The problem might be with the CD-RW drive, but earlier it used to display CD-RW against the drive letter.
Hellllppppp..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Try connecting ur writer as a secondary slave or primary slave.

varungupta17 said:
Also try to configure ur cdwriter as primary master one time as there might a problem with the secondary ide channel....
I hope u were trying to say primary slave

varungupta17

Broken In
Hi if u are tired of all this fuss then let me give u a dirty but good idea... :eek:
FORMAT UR COMPUTER AND REINSTALL UR WINDOWS.
This will solve all of ur problems.. THIS IS A TRIED AND TESTED METHOD and will never fail.. And finally if then if problem persists then it is a problem with ur CDRW and not with ur windows.....

OP
Gaurav

Gaurav

In the zone
FORMATTING the whole drive... :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: ......

I think i should not fiddle with this problem now, (getting insane but working replies) ;););) :D

thanks all of you for your valueable advice.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom