SD Card for Canon SX100IS: Sandisk 2GB Normal SD or Extreme III ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

raksrules

Youngling
My brother is buying Canon sx100is camera from US. Which SD Card he should go for ?

-> Sandisk normal 2GB Memory Card (approx 15 $)
-> Sandisk Extreme III 2GB Memory Card ?? (approx 35 $)

Is the price difference worth it ? if yes then why ?

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
Ultra III

Ultra II

Just compare 2 with 3 then then you'll understand the difference b/w 1 & 3

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
its the assorted write speeds thats differs much and no one wud ever write dat much data into a card for a digicam. The read speeds aren't that much to boast for the Extreme III, not even double. SO i think the normal one is enuf.

But if its meant for a phone or a PMP that supports card, then write speed really helps, in transferring the music and videos.

gopz

In the zone
The normal one is enough. But if you do a lot of video, then I suggest the $35 one, because it will write faster.

OT: Why dont you ask him to check out Nikon P80 and Olympus SP-570uz too, they offer great VFM.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Others have raised valid points regarding the difference between the two cards, so I won't repeat them.

One thing though; you said "from" the US. Does that mean your brother is in India and is sending for the camera from the US ? If so, why not buy the card in Mumbai ? JJ Mehta sells a normal 2GB SD card for 499/- and an Extreme III for 1299/-; and they're probably cheaper in smaller shops.

Also, the Canon SX100IS is a nice camera and though I have not used this model myself, I've read good reviews about it. However, the flash is rather weak (short range) and the flash cycling time is very long, taking more than 10 seconds between shots. I suggest your brother should keep this in mind when making his choice of camera.

OP
raksrules

raksrules

Youngling
Ya my brother is buying in US but he will need it to use it there itself for a few months and hence cannot buy a SD card from here. I am aware about the flash cycle times but i feel that wont be an issue in my case. I will suggest him to buy a normal one only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom