Status
Not open for further replies.

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
I got my system into a lot of problems yesterday.First i installed xp in e: formatting the partition in ntfs,after that i installed win 98.since win98 doesnt recognise ntfs Now i am unable to boot into xp.Is there a way around this or do i have to reinstall xp.pls suggest a way around this guys
b'cos if my win98 installaion gets corrupted again i dont have to install from the beginnig

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
hi man
Why did u do the stupid thing.............
Anyway, boot into the copm with 98 bootable floppy or CD and type in the following

fdisk /mbr

Notice a space after "fdisk"?? That is necessary. This will surely solve the prob but you can't use Win 98. Just delete the files related to 98....... or just format E: later.........

technoteen

Journeyman
please search before you post, as it has been discussed many times

just boot from your win xp cd and go to the recovery consol (not the automated recovery) and the resulting prompt choose to log on to e:\ (your xp installation)adn then type command fixmbr

and yes you wont be able see ntfs partition from 98, it does not spports them

khattam i think you r liitle bit confused abt the thing

OP
V

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
Thanks

Didnt help,First of all i have four partitions c:,d: in fat 32.e:,f: in ntfs,first i installed win xp in f:,after that i insatalled win 98 in c:,now i donot get any option to boot into win xp.can u help or any guy with 98se and xp dual boot pls send me ur boot.ini file .I will edit it for my configuration

technoteen

Journeyman
technoteen said:
just boot from your win xp cd and go to the recovery consol (not the automated recovery) and the resulting prompt choose to log on to e:\ (your xp installation)adn then type command fixmbr

plz do as i have said before

and simply replacing the boot.ini wont help because you need to write the mbr

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Re: Thanks

vasanth_12345 said:
Didnt help,First of all i have four partitions c:,d: in fat 32.e:,f: in ntfs,first i installed win xp in f:,after that i insatalled win 98 in c:,now i donot get any option to boot into win xp.can u help or any guy with 98se and xp dual boot pls send me ur boot.ini file .I will edit it for my configuration
For your kinf info............
BOOT.INI WON'T HELP!!
MBR, dude...................
khattam_ said:
hi man
Why did u do the stupid thing.............
Anyway, boot into the copm with 98 bootable floppy or CD and type in the following

fdisk /mbr

Notice a space after "fdisk"?? That is necessary. This will surely solve the prob but you can't use Win 98. Just delete the files related to 98....... or just format E: later.........
I posted the solution earlier man...............
Didn't that help??

aadipa

Padawan
try this ->

boot with winXP cd
start the setup process
select Recovary Console as install type

this will boot to a command prompt window. here login with ur admin account.
now issue following command
fixmbr
and
fixboot

OP
V

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
sorry

Sorry forgot to add in i already wrote the mbr after seeing ur post, lets hope this helps,(fixboot cmd).I will keep u updated

krishnathelord

In the zone
aadipa said:
try this ->

boot with winXP cd
start the setup process
select Recovary Console as install type

this will boot to a command prompt window. here login with ur admin account.
now issue following command
fixmbr
and
fixboot

i fully agree with aadipa

just boot using xp cd
but instead of going to recovery console tell it to install afresh
after few option u would be asked that there is a version of xp installed in ur disk do u want to repair it.
choose to repair it , it will take around 30 mins and u will be done

LayZ

Broken In
Well there's another workaround but that needed a recovery floppy to have been prepared beforehand using Win XP.Now the only choice is to repair.It'll work for sure.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
LayZ said:
Well there's another workaround but that needed a recovery floppy to have been prepared beforehand using Win XP.Now the only choice is to repair.It'll work for sure.
I'll agree.............
In case you don't know how to do it, i've explained it here

>>Boot into the comp. with XP bootable
>>On the first screen that appears, do not press R, press Enter and go for setup
>>It should ask if you like to Repair, now. If it does not, do let me know. I have another workaround for that
>>Now repair. It should take as long as an installation does and it will remove all the updates to your computer.................. Do this only if the other things don't work...................

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Well try out the RECOVERY CONSOLE: It worked for me as i had the same problem.(well almost the same blunder too :( :? )

Just select the option for booting from the CD ROM DRIVE, wen the setup of XP comes and all the loading of files has been done then Press the F-10 key to bring up the recovery console.

It will ask u to enter a option for the OS (or sumthing like that,oops i dont remember) but it is generally number-1 so enter 1 and press ENTER.

Now format the drive/drives u want by typing the command at the C: prompt like type format C: (format space capital C, if u want to format the C: drive and colon and press ENTER.Replace the letter C by any other letter wich u hv the drive name like D or E).
It will tell u that formatting will remove all the data in the NON REMOVAL drive proceed n/y ? then press y and press ENTER then the Formatting will start.

after u hv finished formattiing ur selected drive/drives then at the end type exit ( type only exit small case and press ENTER) then the computer will restart and WIN-XP installation will begin and here u can set the type of partition u want for ur various drive/drives in MB and u can install WIN-XP in any one of the drives (preferably in C drive)

Hey if i hv done a mistake in any of my above instrustions do forgive me and let me know guys and add any missing commands/instructions as i am only 19 yrs of age and a 2nd year I.T engineering student and still learning a lot of new things from u LORDS here on this site, :wink: :wink:

cheers n peace.... :p:p:p:p

ASHU....

OP
V

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
c'mon

ashu u r telling me wat i already know man,I wanted a way around it.u have to waste 1 hour to install xp afresh.thats wat deters me.anyway i tied to install it without going into the recovery console.didnt ask for any repair options.after that i retried getting into the recovery console and typing fixboot.It ******* up more. it gave a ntldr file missing press a key to restart.i had to install 98 again.anyway can any one tell me fixboot option does.i am still 17

W

Wizard No.2

Jus noticed, Many suggestions flowing, But me couldnt see one soul asking vasanth_12345 to change the subject of this post.

Avoid such kinda subjx coz better the subject, better the readers.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
yes, see the previous pages, i guess they should do the job and those would be the least possible times.

Instead of waiting for more answers just try what have been given already, or go the easy way: format c: and reinstall. Atleast now, install 98 first and then install XP

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
vasanth_12345 said:
ashu u r telling me wat i already know man,I wanted a way around it.u have to waste 1 hour to install xp afresh.thats wat deters me.anyway i tied to install it without going into the recovery console.didnt ask for any repair options.after that i retried getting into the recovery console and typing fixboot.It ******* up more. it gave a ntldr file missing press a key to restart.i had to install 98 again.anyway can any one tell me fixboot option does.i am still 17

Common man cool down......
So it didn't ask for repair options, there is still a workaround man....... Why do you get frustrated. Here's how you can make it to show the Repair option. Just follow the steps. This should CERTAINLY help. If you don't understand or this doesn't help, please notify me..........

>>Boot into the comp with the help of XP Bootable CD

>>Press 'R' on the first screen and login to the account of the administrator

>>Type in
Code:
Bootcfg
and press enter

>>It will ask which Windows XP installation would you like to configure. You have only one option here so type in
Code:
and press enter.

>>It will ask you to give a name for the installation. Give any name eg. khAttAm_

>>Now type in
Code:
 Reboot
and press enter

>>The computer should reboot now.

>>Again boot into the computer with the CD and on the first screen DO NOT PRESS 'R'. Press <Enter>

>>Now it will ask you to Repair. Press 'R'

>>Now repair process should start and XP shall be repaired witout losing all your installed programs and configurations. However, Service Packs and Critical Updates will be lost (if they are not integrated to the installation CD. To know how to integrate, read Digit Magagine or just PM me)

AND you CANNOT install 98 if the first partition (c:) is Ntfs. No way!!
Don't try this stupid thing again.
If you want to install 98 too, make sure the first drive (C:) is FAT32 and NOT Ntfs.
By the Way, why do you want to install 98?? Do let me know.

I'm just 16 but hope I could help.................... Coz I have gone through these ______ ....................

OP
V

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
Hey khattam

Hey look,Only my win 98 is a original copy, my win xp is a pirated edition.Iconnect thru a lan and the network is infected by sasser worm.so even if i install my xp with the lan cable plugged and boot into xp i get infected immediately.so that way 98 is safer.further my system is a p3 550,128 mb ram .it isnt exactly comfortable running winxp with all the tweaks.I just put xp for the eye candy nothing else.Even though i thought of buying xp.it has so many serious loop holes and is a resource monger.I am keping awayfrom it at present.nowadays i am experimenting with open source.anyway can u tell me further of the fixmbr and fixboot commands.If i format c: will the mbr be written a new further is the mbr a part of the c:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom