save resources by using bitmaps for wallpaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
most of us love to put wallpapers on our desktops. however, they are actually resources hoggers, esp if they are in jpg or tif formats !

bmp formats instead require very little resources ! :)

for pc's with lower specifications, its best to set your computer to accept
only bmp (bitmap) formats. files that can be auto-converted to bmp formats (like jpg, gif, png) can also get set as wallpapers. simply right-click>set as wallpaper.

heres how u can do it :
go to start>run>gpedit.msc>ok
select User Config>Admin Templates>Desktop
Click on Active Desktop inside it>Allow only bitmapped wallpaper>Enable>ok.

now your desktop will accept only bmp pictures or auto-convert where posbl, and display them. u will have saved some resources ! :idea:

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
anandk said:
most of us love to put wallpapers on our desktops. however, they are actually resources hoggers, esp if they are in jpg or tif formats !

bmp formats instead require very little resources ! :)

for pc's with lower specifications, its best to set your computer to accept
only bmp (bitmap) formats. files that can be auto-converted to bmp formats (like jpg, gif, png) can also get set as wallpapers. simply right-click>set as wallpaper.

heres how u can do it :
go to start>run>gpedit.msc>ok
select User Config>Admin Templates>Desktop
Click on Active Desktop inside it>Allow only bitmapped wallpaper>Enable>ok.

now your desktop will accept only bmp pictures or auto-convert where posbl, and display them. u will have saved some resources ! :idea:

HMMMMM...
Read about this somewhere.
But don't know why JPEG hogs resources and Bitmaps don't

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
actually, you know, i did not not 'discover' this piece of info in my bathtub, like Eureka ! just read it somewhere on the net/print (even i dont know where !) and felt like sharing it; with those who didnt know about it ! so sure, others must have also read about it somewhere, sometime... :wink:

Biplav

In the zone
actually anandk how does it do so can u tell?
i mean bitmap takes far more space when saved and jpeg wont be even 1/3 of it.
so why is it so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom