Satellite 'the size of a bus' could crash to Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
A large spy satellite is out of control and could crash to Earth in the next few weeks, a US government official has warned.

*www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2008/01/27/wsatel127.jpg​

The satellite could land anywhere on the planet and may contain hazardous materials, the unnamed source told the AP news wire.
The satellite is the size of a small bus

It is understood that American politicians and world leaders are being kept abreast of the situation.

In response to the reports Gordon Johndroe, a spokesman for the National Security Council, said: "Appropriate government agencies are monitoring the situation.

"Numerous satellites over the years have come out of orbit and fallen harmlessly. We are looking at potential options to mitigate any possible damage this satellite may cause."

He refused to discuss specifics, such as whether the satellite might be destroyed with a missile. But such a move is considered unlikely by experts as it would create a rain of debris which could cause more widespread damage.

While the US government is yet to release any information about the craft, John Pike of the defence research group GlobalSecurity.org said that it is most likely a photo-reconnaissance satellite, weighing as much as 20,000lb (9,000kg) and the size of a bus.

It is believed to contain hydrazine, a common rocket fuel, which is hazardous to humans.

This would not be the first time a large man-made satellite has de-powered and crashed uncontrollably into the atmosphere. The largest was in 1979, when Skylab, a 78-ton abandoned space station, lost control and fell from orbit.

It fell apart on re-entry, with the debris crashing harmlessly into the Indian Ocean and across an uninhabited part of Western Australia.

Source

:mad:Americans... they first create spy satellites to rid the world or privacy, then they screw it up and say that its gonna crash anywhere. And this was the "Ideal Nation" According to its founders

praka123

left this forum longback
I hope it will end up in sea.
earlier our ISRO were specialized in launching satellites which with 1/2 hour reaches bengal sea :lol:

I remember the pic where Indias first rocket is carried on the carrier of a bicycle :D for launch KIKIHIHIHI :D!

amitava82

MMO Addict
lol why do you guys hate school so much? .. ho yea I too hated it .. :lol:
You will realize later that School/College life is the best part of you life. Now that my education life is almost over, I realized how much I miss those days, things I wanted to do but never made it.:(

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
You will realize later that School/College life is the best part of you life. Now that my education life is almost over, I realized how much I miss those days, things I wanted to do but never made it.:(
I want the school days back not the school :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom