Satellite Images Of Your Backyard !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kannan

In the zone
I asked about a software to many people and they reply, what is that, please enlighten us !!.

I felt a little bad about that. :(

So this thread is going to enlighten you all about the software I am talking about.

Anway, the software I am talking about is called World Wind from NASA.

It's a open source freeware software which gives the satellite Images in which you can even see a person stepping out of a car.

You can download the software from *worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html (171 MB !!!)

This software downloads the images from Terra server US and simulates them with bumps using Direct-X 3D technology.

It's a great software, but the major downfall of this software is that you will need broad band access to download the images in real time from Terra server.

More Information at *worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

A peek of what you can see !!
Base ball field in Seattle, Washington, United States (114 kb)
*www.binarybits.net/temp/images/nasa/seattle_122.33246w_47.jpg

Airport (90 kb)
*www.binarybits.net/temp/images/nasa/airport_84.41674w_33.jpg

Washington Monument (60 kb)
*www.binarybits.net/temp/images/nasa/washington_monument_77.03525w_38.jpg

About the Software,
Programming Language: Microsoft C#
3D Technology : Direct-X
Platform: Only Windows (This software is open source, so it can be ported to other platforms)

I am going to put some co-ordinates to be used in software to get beautiful images of cities of US in my website.

Mostly all the images available in URBAN mode is of U.S Cities only and are very detailed !!.

Sunnydiv and I have sent emails to our Indian President to get more images for India Cities. But no response from Indian Government. Feel very bad !. :(

All of you can find some interesting co-ordinates to be put on my website to be used with World Wind. Keep watching this thread.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hey can this software be used to view virtually any place on the earth ? where do u get the co-ordinates for various locations ? too bad i dont have a broadband connection :( i find this software very interesting dude.

OP
K

Kannan

In the zone
Not any place as of now as US government doesn't have all urban images. But they are updating very fast !!

Coordinates are shared between people. Even there is a thread available at the forum for World Wind co-ordinates at NASA.

You can find the forum link here *worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Each image(tiles) is around 50 kb to 120 kb and for a single zoom it takes around 3 to 10 tiles !!!

NikhilVerma

Padawan
No real need of coordinates for me...

I just search the city ...

BTW WorldWind doesn't work for me... I can't open detailed view of any city... It always gives Internet connection error....

krisjr

In the zone
when r we going to hav detailed maps and imp places of major cities in India.its sorely needed.its surprising when we indians fill most of silicon valley tech offices.why cant the expats make something which will give a detailed pic of everything..The govt apathy towards this isssue is also very apalling.the govt of India keeps sending those INsat sats and wat not,why cant it send a spy sat or a com sat exclusive for this purpose...It still beats me.it doesnt cost much.atleast we can see wat these pakis,bangladeshis,chinks r doing on our borders.Atleast we will hav real time effective patrolling.then these ppl will not say that we didnt do anything etc etc..

OP
K

Kannan

In the zone
Hey Nikhil, I don't have server problems.

But The modes I use are LandSat, Digital Ortho, Urban Ortho & Topo Maps.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Hmmm wasnt this software in one of Digits DVD's ? I havent installed or tried it yet, Maybe Ill take a peek :D .

One more thing, by any chance does this software require .Net to be installed before usage?

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
World Wind requires that you have .NET runtime environment and DirectX installed. You can download .NET runtime environment and DirectX runtime.

Source: *worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

plasmafire

Journeyman
it works really well..i got a few shots of chennai, himalayas, etc.. really coool.

u can even see tsunami as it happened
(hmm how do i post pics???)

nicole2208

Broken In
this is too large for the dial up !

Friends,
Hope to find the above mentioned software in some future Digit dvd , as the enormous size of the file may not allow many of us in indian to download it.
Hope the Digit guys take a note of this :lol:

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Why it doesn't work on my pC??!!

I have .net 1.1 probably... Coz I installed autopatcher Jan edition...

I have directX 9.0c too..

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Re: this is too large for the dial up !

nicole2208 said:
Friends,
Hope to find the above mentioned software in some future Digit dvd , as the enormous size of the file may not allow many of us in indian to download it.
Hope the Digit guys take a note of this :lol:

It has been already carried in one of the recent issues of Digit...was it the March issue?

mario_pant

In the zone
um..... if u r looking for the .net framework.... then they are available in the same Digit DVD as the one which has world winds....
world winds didn't work on my TNT2 but kicks some real A$$ with GeForce 5200... not tried the advanced modes though

OP
K

Kannan

In the zone
Nikil what's your PC config ?

Did u install the latest 1.3.1 patch ??

What problem are you facing ?

OP
K

Kannan

In the zone
Hey Nikhil here is the link for the patch

*worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/downloads/World_Wind_1.3_to_1.3.1_Patch_v2.exe

Hey Cool Dude, only Windows Platform and its open source. So it is possible to port the software to Linux platform

NikhilVerma

Padawan
lol ! I have version 1.2e ...
And the patch is 1.3 > 1.3.1

So I guess I can't use it ... And I can't download the 175MB setup again... So I guess I'll have to wait until digit provides it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom