Status
Not open for further replies.

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
Is there a converter to use SATA/SATA-II hard disks on a PATA connector?

Any other alternative to use SATA hard disks when motherboard does not support them? I've heard of a Tech-Com converter which can be used to connect hard disks on a USB port (the interface has a slow speed connection) and use them as a removable drive but I am not sure if it works with SATA/SATA-II hard disks.

Also plz. give details of the Tech-com thingy, I know Tech-com is crappy (have a Techcom card reader)

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Have a look at this. I don't know whether its available here...

Check their website satagear.com for all possible types of HD accessories..:wink:

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
future proofing.. Suppose u hv a old mobo that doesnt support sata/sata2.. If u want to take a new hdd.. Then u ll take a sata2 wit a converter..

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
pathiks said:
future proofing.. Suppose u hv a old mobo that doesnt support sata/sata2.. If u want to take a new hdd.. Then u ll take a sata2 wit a converter..

Exactly, or U can use it as an external Hard Disk

OP
F

The Transcendental
Thank you for your replies.
Of course for future proofing.
Any more alternatives available?
What about the tech-com variant.
The one above itself would cost about Rs.1500.
the tech-com thingy costs somewhere around Rs 500 but I don't know if it supports SATA-II

Eazy

Journeyman
There is a Tech-com Rs 500/- external casing which runs both PATA and SATA HDDs....

*www.techtree.com/India/Reviews/Tech-Com_35-inch_HDD_Casing/551-78689-611.html

OP
F

The Transcendental
Thank you @eazy.
AFAIK there is another variant of Tech-com available without the casing (shoddy thing). But don't these have very slow transfer speed, like half of PATA (max to 30mbps though avg. hovers around 15mbps, and don't even think about connecting these to a USB 1.0 interface.
Isn't there any cheap alternative to connect something internally to the PATA connector?

OP
F

The Transcendental
i'll buy a new motherboard when PCI express 2 becomes mainstream-> in about 6months it willl be released to mass markets, will become ubiquitous next year.
My old mobo doesn't even support PCI express.
That will be the time to buy a quadcore proccie, a terabyte hard disk, a couple of gigs ddr3 ram
a dx10 pciexpress2 graphic card ... drool ...drool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom