Sata-II hard disk working at Sata-I mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
Hi guys,
I have installed a new seagate ST325084AS 250 GB SATA-II hard disk.My motherboard is asus A8N-E(nforce4) which well supports sata-2.The problem is that under device manager's IDE ATA\ATAPI\ controllers >nforce4 sata controller
It shows the hard disk to be working in sata-I mode(see the screen)*img440.imageshack.us/img440/2418/untitledvy8.th.jpg.What can be the problem?

suman2005

Broken In
Seagate SATA II HDDs have a jumper on the back next to the cable connectors which sets the HDD for SATA I or II.

*img172.imageshack.us/img172/8882/seagatesataiijumperxa0.th.jpg

suman2005

Broken In
When I have such problems with HDD getting recognised wrongly by XP I delete the channel to which the HDD is connected to in Device Manager and on reboot the channel gets auto reinstalled and the HDD gets picked up correctly. I have the same MoBo as you A8N-E.

I notice you have NCQ enabled for the HDD - I was told in the nvidia forums that it is better to disable this option and I have done accordingly.

suman2005

Broken In
Place a jumper to make the HDD a SATA I and then start the computer and confirm it is set for SATA I and then switch off and reset to SATA II by removing the jumper and check again. Sometimes just this type of excercise will set the HDD properly.

Are you running XP with SP2 ?

Also try out what keith suggested.

Last edited:

suman2005

Broken In
varunprabhakar said:
i have hitachi deskstar HDT722516DLA380. even i ve the same probliem. pls help!!

For Hitachi HDD setting from SATA I to SATA II is done via a software... download the ISO version of Feature Tool and burn ISO to a CDR and boot off this CD....

*www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#FeatureTool

link for the ISO image is....

*www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/ftool_203.iso

Hitachi have posted a warning for enabling SATA II....
Warning! Switching your drive to support 3.0Gb/s, or enabling spread spectrum clocking and then using it, may render your drive unusable in a system that cannot support these functions. If in doubt, please contact your system manufacturer.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
=>anything in BIOS for enabling SATA II (its my question, as i too dunno).
=>why not send an e-mail to ASUS guys regarding this.

Off Topic:
HDDLife is a real-time hard drive monitoring utility with alerts, malfunction protection and data loss prevention functions. This hard drive inspector is a proactive hard drive failure detection system which manages all of your hard drive risks.

today's Giveaway of the day! 18 hours left
link->Download HDDlife Pro now

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
yep, they respond.
my cousin sent them email, regarding Overclocking & RAM voltage settings. they responded with a thank you mail in 2 hours & with Help in 4 days.

varunprabhakar

In the zone
suman2005 said:
For Hitachi HDD setting from SATA I to SATA II is done via a software... download the ISO version of Feature Tool and burn ISO to a CDR and boot off this CD....

*www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#FeatureTool

link for the ISO image is....

*www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/ftool_203.iso

Hitachi have posted a warning for enabling SATA II....

my m/b supports sataII. should i go ahead. will i get a performance boost??

OP
Arsenal_Gunners

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
go ahead. Why are you asking when it is all set to fly.:D
just noticed.In my POST also it reads
Hard Disk LBA SATA I 250 GB.
so something wrong in bios?In Bios i just came across some sata options which gave me a hint.they were like this
SATA CHANNEL 1,2 Enable\disable
SATA1 data transfer enable\disable
SATA CHANNEL 3,4 Enable\disable
SATA2 data transfer enable\disable
the thing i noticed is when i disabled first option second also gets disabled.Same goes for third and fourth.
so I attached my hdd to 3rd slot from first and GUESS WHAT-NO CHANGE:-(

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
varunprabhakar said:
my m/b supports sataII. should i go ahead. will i get a performance boost??
I had converted the 80 GB Hitachi to SATA II using the Feature tool, more than a year back without any problem. The transfer rate now is an almost constant 60 MBps. Make sure you download and read the instructions first.

varunprabhakar

In the zone
i wanted to converted my hitachi 160gb sata drive to sataII mode. so i used ftool from hitachi website.
but it is giving an error when i use it to boot from the cd tht it burnt. and i think it didnt recognize my drive. my model is Deskstar HDT722516DLA380.
however in windows ftool doesnt recognize my drive at all.

Last edited:

navino87

In the zone
Just download Hitachi FeatureTool from their website mount it to a floppy drive or other drive and enter via that specific drive. Now change sata1 to sata2.

It worked fine for me :) Done this before 8 months when i got my new pc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom