Sata card opinions required

Status
Not open for further replies.

techmax

Broken In
guyz i have been thinking to buy a sata harddrive my budget is 4.5k but the
problem is that my mobo(845g) does'nt support sata i was thinking of buying sata cardand i am in no need of upgrading my system for atleast 2 yrs

Is the performance of the card good or not ?
Will my mobo support pci card boot?
what is the price of the card?

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Well the performance of the card depends on which card is it..the brand.....quality etc.......BUt its a little hard to find the card.....but available.....Once u get it try it with ur friends hard disk and get ur own SATA hard disk...coz if u don't like the performance then the SATA hard disk will go waste...

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
*www.skycreator.com/photo/ebay/ide%20to%20sata%20convertor/ide-to-sata-sc.jpg
I just added a SATA 250gb segate to my 845glad mobo.
I had to buy a SATA to IDE convertor card for Rs 500/- single HDD, the same is also available for Rs 1200/- & supports 2 sata to IDE disk.

Speed difference is negligible but so was the price difference so I better have latest technology.

You may want to read this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=251187#post251187

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
ranjan2001 said:
*www.skycreator.com/photo/ebay/ide%20to%20sata%20convertor/ide-to-sata-sc.jpg
I just added a SATA 250gb segate to my 845glad mobo.
I had to buy a SATA to IDE convertor card for Rs 500/- single HDD, the same is also available for Rs 1200/- & supports 2 sata to IDE disk.

Speed difference is negligible but so was the price difference so I better have latest technology.

You may want to read this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=251187#post251187

But now...the final interface is PATA itself.....what's the use of SATA if u r converting the SATA to PATA.....get a PATA instead...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Not recommended.. IDE to SATA converter is crap.. They just fooling you.. Actually you may even get lesser speed than an IDE disk!

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
kalpik said:
Not recommended.. IDE to SATA converter is crap.. They just fooling you.. Actually you may even get lesser speed than an IDE disk!

Just to be sure that speed is not reduced, I ran benchmark test on old disk & then via convertor to the new disk, I did not find any speed loss. Just booting up takes bit more time as it needs to detect the sata drive via convertor.

So why would you say that speed may be less than IDE, no body is promised nor can they get sata speeds when using sata to pata convetor.

akshayt said:
why don't you get pata, i don't know whether you will find one though.

The difference was Rs 325/- for a 250 gb, hardly any speed difference, neither slow nor fast, so why not have latest technology so that can be used when you upgrade.

Every 3 years the technology is overhauled completely, but we cant throw our working computers just because the new is available. My PC 1.7/ 845glad mobo is perfect & running, just needed upgradation for space & ram.

Last edited:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
It would be nice & quite helpful for all of us, if you can also give some of the reasons for not recommending it & why it is mentioned as crap?

Zaysen

Broken In
ranjan2001 said:
Just to be sure that speed is not reduced, I ran benchmark test on old disk & then via convertor to the new disk, I did not find any speed loss. Just booting up takes bit more time as it needs to detect the sata drive via convertor.

So why would you say that speed may be less than IDE, no body is promised nor can they get sata speeds when using sata to pata convetor.

The difference was Rs 325/- for a 250 gb, hardly any speed difference, neither slow nor fast, so why not have latest technology so that can be used when you upgrade.

Every 3 years the technology is overhauled completely, but we cant throw our working computers just because the new is available. My PC 1.7/ 845glad mobo is perfect & running, just needed upgradation for space & ram.

I Fully Agree With You and Thank you for the PATA to SATA Conversion Card Mentioned in Detail. Even i have a P4 1.7 Ghz Willamette on a Intel D845WN motherboard With PC-133 MHz SD Ram which is serving my computing needs of Internet access, accounts,TV and entertainment perfectly. Like you Said who needs upgradation just because new technology is available. Money does not grow on trees! My PC's Ram is Obsolete of the whole lot but still it does it's job and Runs Windows XP Home Edition. I may also have to take your advise and do a PATA to SATA Conversion as my hard disk has completed 4 years and has bad sectors and may go kapoot any time.I Do not find logic in a full system upgrade as new cpu+mobo+ram will prove to be a overkill for my basic applications and it is better to keep flogging a dead horse as far as possible.

Many Thanks for the article and keep writing such useful tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom