SanDisk pen drive write protected

meetdenis

Journeyman
Hi,

I have a SanDisk 32GB CruzerBlade pen drive that is giving me problems.

First, it gave me 'disk is write protected' error. I was not able to delete any files from it, neither I was able to format. I tried fixing it by regedit, scanning with Avast, MS Security Essentials, but to no avail.
I tried to format it from the disk manager, but when I right clicked the drive, all options are disabled(except Properties & Help).

I finally tried diskpart from Command Prompt, but it didn't work completely. Please see screenshot linked below.
rvefd4.jpg

Now I can't see the drive in My Computer, although it shows in Disk Manager.
I guess the volume has been erased.

Can someone please help me?

itsakjt

Broken In
Use Rufus and try. Happened with me when a 3rd party software messed the file system of my 16 GB Transcend JetFlash. Also, if faulty, some pen drives can be repaired. I repaired my 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer. Opened it up to check the D+ and D- signals to the chip because it was reported as unrecognized and turned out a resistor went out due to water damage(rain) and powering it. I checked the circuitry with multimeter and replaced a resistor and it works good as new now. If your drive is out of warranty, you may try that as well

14535511634_82d42e4709_o.jpg

14536993065_775ed43f88_o.jpg

itsakjt

Broken In
Actually, it was on the reverse side. Will share the photo later. I have a 10W pin point soldering iron which comes in very handy for removing SMD components. So for the affected resistor, I coated it with solder flux and heated the joints when it came off. I have many PCBs of old stuff(mobile phones and dead motherboards) lying here and there. Since it was D+ and D-, I was fairly sure it will be a zero value resistor i.e. a fuse. So I got one near that value and soldered it. It worked. :)

root.king

geek in action
Actually, it was on the reverse side. Will share the photo later. I have a 10W pin point soldering iron which comes in very handy for removing SMD components. So for the affected resistor, I coated it with solder flux and heated the joints when it came off. I have many PCBs of old stuff(mobile phones and dead motherboards) lying here and there. Since it was D+ and D-, I was fairly sure it will be a zero value resistor i.e. a fuse. So I got one near that value and soldered it. It worked. :)

:eek: wow wow next time I'll send you my broken pendrives to you to repair

itsakjt

Broken In
:eek: wow wow next time I'll send you my broken pendrives to you to repair

LOL sure. :D

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, here it is. I have marked the faulty resistor. This is after the soldering work. I don't have lead free soldering metal and so it does not shine like the other SMD resistors and capacitors as you can see but it does the job. ;)

14537468671_1bb9b2240c_o.jpg

itsakjt

Broken In
^Thanks. :) BTW for the write protected problem, if the problem is not in the file system but on the drive itself, it is a bit tricky. You have to know the model number of the ICs used and check the datasheet to see which pin corresponds to the Write Enable(WE) signal. Then you have to trace the circuit(s) connected to that pin in the PCB and check the passive components like resistors and capacitors associated with it. Most pen drives or rather any electronic device can be repaired if passive components like resistors or capacitors are damaged. If active components like the ICs are damaged, then probably nothing can be done.

OP
meetdenis

meetdenis

Journeyman
Download this and format.
Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Do report us if it works. Exact same thing happened with my Transcend 16 GB jet flash while trying to burn Seatools with another 3rd part USB burner.
this happened>>
259xy6r.png

Try this too
HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool Free Download

If that's didn't works then get ready for a 500mb mega tool download
this happened >>
154ybsw.png

it's getting increasingly close to point of no return. Any other suggestions before 'get it replaced' :-(

Top Bottom