Samsung DVD-Writer woes !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry146

Broken In
I bought a Samsung 16X DVD Writer last month.. but its giving a lot of hassles. Out of 8 DVDs I have burnt, 5 have failed, 1 wrote successfully but I am unable to read the contents, 2 are working properly. I wanted to know if it has something to do with the size of files (since I generally write movies > 1 GB). Also does it have to do with the burning speed? For Dual layer, it was mentioned at 2.4X, would it matter if I wrote DVD-R at 2.4X?

Another doubt is I am not able to write completely on the disc. If I try to write two files (size 2.5GB and 2 GB) on a 4.7 GB disc, it gives the message, not enough disc space, change the disc.

Is anybody else facing the same issues?
Thanks.

OP
J

jerry146

Broken In
Media code? what is that? i would give specifications of the DVD-R:

Sony DVD-R Ver 2.0

1x-4x compatible
DMR47S1 (??)

OP
J

jerry146

Broken In
Not an uncommon problem I guess:

Re: Problem with Samsung H552B DVD Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so I`ve been having similar problems and having searched the web (for what seems like years!) I can see that this may well be a common theme... The H552B just will not recognise any type of recordable media be it burned or blank, DVD or CD.

Can anyone help? I`ve upgraded to the latest firmware, swapped between master and slave and CS, uninstalled, reinstalled but I really don`t know what to try next!

All that was technical enough for me so its over to you guys... Anyone think they`re up to the job?!!!

spendog
View Public Profile
Send a private message to spendog
Find More Posts by spendog
Add spendog to Your Buddy List

18-02-2005 #22
alamir
New on Forum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi men.

I bought a H522B dvdrw and I'm experiencing a really nasty problem: after a few months of normal use, the drive stopped recognizing CD media, but not DVD.
According to the user's forum on www.chl.it (italian) this is a very common issue. I've just reveived a new unit, produced on january 2005, from the warranty service, but I'm still worried... how long will it work?

nb: this is a HARDWARE error, the drive doesn't recognize cd media even unconnected from the 40pin ribbon (i mean, the green light keeps flashing for 1 1/2 minute. a working unit recognize the media with just power plugged in).
according to the mentioned forum, samsung replied it depends on xp's service pack 2...
this seems a "farmer", not tech, opinion!!

any idea?
thx

alamir
View Public Profile
Send a private message to alamir
Find More Posts by alamir
Add alamir to Your Buddy List

26-03-2005 #23
NEM25
New on Forum

This sounds like very bad news to me. I've posted this already, but it might well interest you to read it here, too.

I have recently bought a Samsung TS-552B DVD Writer. I bought some Imation DVD-RW discs to backup my PC before I did a clean-install of Windows. During the backup process I tried to erase some of the discs using Nero 6 Express that came with the DVD Writer. However, when trying to erase the discs on 'Full erase', the process started, but after about 10 seconds it stopped and ejected the DVD. When I reloaded the DVD, Nero disc info. showed the DVD to be empty, but when I tried to access the DVD via My Computer I got an 'Incorrect Function' error. I went to Nero.com and downloaded the most recent update at the time (6.6.0.6). I installed this update and it actually fixed the problem completely - I was able to erase the DVD-RWs with no more problems.

After formating the hard drive and re-installing Windows, I installed the same software as before, including Nero and the same update.

A few weeks ago I tried to erase the DVD-RWs, but the same problem happened again. I tried with more than one DVD-RW, but each one I tried gave the same result - 10 seconds and then it stopped. Nero gave me an 'Erasing Failure' error.

I have tried using Nero without any update installed, and also with the most recent update (6.6.0.8a) installed, but get the same problem. I have uninstalled and re-installed using Nero's Clean Tools, but still cannot erase the DVD-RWs. I downloaded the freeware Cyberlink DVD Solution. I tried to erase the discs using this (after completely removing Nero), but again had the same problem - 10 seconds then failure.

I have a friend who has an LG DVD Writer, and plan on trying to erase the discs on his Writer to see whether it is the discs or my Writer.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? I've heard that Nero can actually damage the discs so they are unre-writable. Is this true? The DVD-Writer is very new and Imation is a reputable brand, is it not? Any ideas???

NEM25
View Public Profile
Send a private message to NEM25
Find More Posts by NEM25
Add NEM25 to Your Buddy List

03-04-2005 #24
NEM25
New on Forum

I spoke to someone at Samsung Technical Help. He said that the drive does have compatability issues with media. He suggested that I use only Samsung or TDK media.

NEM25
View Public Profile
Send a private message to NEM25
Find More Posts by NEM25
Add NEM25 to Your Buddy List

05-04-2005 #25
Bob_G
CD Freaks Junior Member

I have a Samsung TS-H552B as OEM on my HP (TS-05). Initially I was able to write DVD+R 4X media at 2X with no problems, couldn't get a quality write on the same cheap DVD-R 4X media. Decided to try better media (Memorex ProdiscF10 DVD-R 8X).
Writer wrote fine, had some minor issues with write quality. Then for some reason (hiccup in the system), all of a sudden I couldn't write to this media, could write to the cheap DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW with no problems, but could write to the Memorex disks.
I then loaded the latest Firmware TS-08 and all of a sudden, I could write to the Memorex disks again.
The two lessons I've learned for the TS_H552B are:
1) Don't use cheap media, if that's all you have it has less problems with DVD+R
2) If all of a sudden you can't read / write to a disk that you used to before, reload the latest Firmware.

amit_arya

Broken In
try changing the media... the media could be bad...
check the IDE cable... does it support the high-speed DMA or the vendor gave you a local IDE cable

you might want to disable the DMA just for testing... (the writing speed will suck might take over a hour to write a DVD but....)

next you might want to check for firmware upgrade ....

some machine have panga with master/slave etc etc... my my previous office we had IBM netvista and for that under some combinations of HDD and CDRW one of them would not be detected or there will be errors in writing... do check this .....

and last could be a PS.. if the PS can't take the load then drive won't get proper voltage for writing and as a result .. you know better :)

darklord

Cyborg Agent
First of all Samsung writers are pathetic.
Now that you have it,best of luck.
Dude, you could have gone for a better writer. :wink:

check the IDE cable... does it support the high-speed DMA or the vendor gave you a local IDE cable

I don't think this has got anything to do with the problem he has mentioned.

some machine have panga with master/slave etc etc... my my previous office we had IBM netvista and for that under some combinations of HDD and CDRW one of them would not be detected or there will be errors in writing... do check this .....

Dude,this isnt system specific the combination for master/slave connections are standard for all.

The middle port of IDE cable goes to slave device.The Salve device must have the jumper set to Slave.Same is true for Master Device.This is universal. :lol:

and last could be a PS.. if the PS can't take the load then drive won't get proper voltage for writing and as a result .. you know better Smile
I don't think so.PSU has got nothing to do with it.Power consumption of DVD writers isnt large enough to load a PSU.

amit_arya

Broken In
darklord said:
Dude,this isnt system specific the combination for master/slave connections are standard for all.

The middle port of IDE cable goes to slave device.The Salve device must have the jumper set to Slave.Same is true for Master Device.This is universal. :lol:

middle port and stuff comes into role when you are on cable select mode and not otherwise.

dear believe me some systems have such problems. even IBM engineer was not able to solve the same when we had called him over the issue... they have a simple reply since your drive is not from IBM there is a compatibility issue...........

AlienTech

In the zone
This drive has major problems, you could write @ 2x speeds and get better results. Change media and see as well.. The U version is a HUGE improvemenet over the B. This drive can barely write @ 8x so should technically be an 8X writer. Change disks until you find one that works. Only solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom