Safari to eliminate Firefox, Opera & every browser except IE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
Source: John’s Blog

Safari is to eliminate Firefox, Opera & every alternate browser : Steve Jobs

That is not a statement from a random blogger or a fanboy but is an indication from Steve Jobs' latest WWDC keynote speech.
Steve Job’s keynote at WWDC this year inspired some and was disappointing to others — but, as usual, it was interesting & entertaining. I’ve always liked Apple’s products, and spend an embarrassing amount of my own money on them. So I’m interested in what he’s got to say.

Every so often though, as inspired as he is, he says something that betrays at best a blurry view of the real world, at worst an explicit intent to bring more of the world under directed control from Cupertino, and that happened Monday.

The big news, of course, is that Apple’s releasing Safari on Windows — and although it’s been a rough first few days for them (and will get rougher), more choices are generally good for users, and so I’m hopeful that they can work to produce a product of quality on Windows eventually. I’m quite fond of Firefox, of course, and am very happy that people everywhere in the world continue to adopt our browser in increasing numbers.

Here’s a screen capture from the keynote of what Steve thinks the world looks like today (discussion starts at about 1:06 into the preso):

*farm2.static.flickr.com/1378/549353790_fe1b911944_o.png

We could quibble with the numbers, but close enough. It doesn’t give much credit to the large & growing number of other quality browsers that are on the scene today, and certainly doesn’t give any sophisticated understanding of the situation outside the United States, where things vary more. Close enough, though.

But here’s the graph that betrays the way that Steve, and by extension Apple, so often looks at the world:

*farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/549353792_ef59efe867_o.png
I would leave it on you to make all conclusions from the two slides but if Apple even remotely plans to eliminate browsers like Firefox and Opera from then web then they really need to do lot better than what they are actually doing with Safari.

goobimama

 Macboy
Weird that in both cases, IE has the same market share. You would assume that Apple would target IE instead of Firefox and others...

Elmooo, what you doing up so late?

Last edited:

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Weird..But this is seriously True! ;)...I just saw a DIGG post which showed the insane stats of No of Downloads of Safari Browser as soon as it was released for WINDOWS :)

contactpraven2001

In the matrix of linux
well apple is targeting firefox and opera then ie ...........
they r doing a big mistake because eliminating ff is become impossible
due to addons.......

blackpearl

The Devil
rakeshishere said:
Weird..But this is seriously True! ;)...I just saw a DIGG post which showed the insane stats of No of Downloads of Safari Browser as soon as it was released for WINDOWS :)

Have a look at this:

*bofe.wordpress.com/2007/06/15/review-safari-beta-for-windows/

And as somebody on DIGG rightly said,
No of downloads = No of uninstallations

No of downloads doesn't proof anything bro!!

sandeepk

Journeyman
FF is so good and addons really makes it better than IE any day. Opera is also good one. I tried Safari and still using it but its very slow as compared to FF or Opera on my computer. It sometimes crawls loading pages with heavy graphics. Even IE does better job than Safari in this case. So this statement about replacing FF & Opera is really baseless.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Suppose we assume Safari as Webkit + UI

Now, in its current state, Webkit is no where close to the speed, memory usage & ability of Gecko or Opera engine. So Jobs can just forget about the engine part taking over.

Now, UI. Firefox & Opera blend in the Windows Market. They use the standard Windows UI components, like stretch from any side, cleartype font for font rendering, WPF (maybe) etc. Other things like ctrl+tab for cycling between tabs, ctrl+f4 for closing a tab.

Safari on the other hand brings a completely new & non-Windows standard UI to Windows Vista. Not only it looks foreign, it acts foreign too. You cannot make a new tab by double clicking on the tab bar. Then you cannot even resize it from any side, or cycle through tabs using CTRL+tab, but u have to do it using ctrl+shift+] now don't tell me using 3 keys is better then using 2 keys cos that is the mac way :D

Jobs like to make other people work the way he likes & intends, not giving any choice for the people to work the way they want which Opera & Firefox provides. Its either the Apple way or the highway.

There is no chance Safari Software can prevail on Windows or eat the market share of Firefox or Opera. On a Mac it will prevail cos Safari is native to Mac while Firefox is not. On Windows the speed of non-native apps is also very close to native apps while on Mac, non native apps are buggy & slow. Opera on the other hand can make a Mac native version if they like cos there engine is also controlled by Opera only.

praka123

left this forum longback
may be someday konqueror too enters the battle in windows field :p
btwn i am happy with Epiphany browser.gr8 and simple.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Rubbish, Safari on Windows is never going to succeed. At least, not much. It is certainly not taking over Firefox.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
I think Jobs might have said the same about Mac OS X when it was released .

"Mac OS is going take over the world" *farm1.static.flickr.com/217/510658461_afdbb73060_o.gif

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Dear Mr. Steve Jobs,
Please keep dreaming of replacing Opera ( I dont care of other browsers ) do what ever you want... but opera is here to stay and will not go away from my system and my mobile. BTW Safari is released only for OS X , Windows and your iPhone pls let me know if there are others.

Opera has support the following OS

• Windows
  • Solaris Sparc
  • Solaris Intel
  • QNX
  • OS/2
  • MacOS
  • Linux Sparc
  • Linux PowerPC
  • Linux i386
  • FreeBSD i386
  • BeOS

Opera is also available for many consumer devices.
  • TV and Set-Top Boxes
  • Consumer Electronics
  • Automotive & Transportation
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo Wii

And not to mention support for hundreds of Mobile phones with Opera Mini.

And for your for your kind information, your safari browser on my system has gone to africa for a permanent safari and will not return.

Warm Regards
Opera RULZ

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
goobimama said:
Elmooo, what you doing up so late?
You ever had a Great Dane in your family who wants to sleep in your bed and would just not budge? You would really miss your bed then and lots of sleep as well :(

Indyan said:
Is Safari faster? Is Safari cheating?
Just to support you
Wired News Benchmarks Show Safari 3 Is Slower Than IE 7, Firefox

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
That I don't agree with. Safari is the fastest of all the browsers I have on my Mac - and the number of browsers I have would make anyone dizzy:
Camino
Firefox
Internet Explorer (Windows)
OmniWeb
Opera
Opera (Windows)
Shiira
Safari

Out of all these, Safari is undoubtedly the fastest and I use it exclusively now. I guess you realise this when you are browsing the Internet on an EDGE connection. Opera comes second, by the way. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
You ever had a Great Dane in your family who wants to sleep in your bed and would just not budge? You would really miss your bed then and lots of sleep as well

Try getting a cat. The sleep just spreads all over the place like a disease...

Anyway, my comment was actually a joke, cause I posted that five minutes after you (slept at 6 am)

Third Eye

gooby pls
charangk said:
And for your for your kind information, your safari browser on my system has gone to africa for a permanent safari and will not return.

:lol: Lol :lol:

Even my safari browser is going to Africa for a permanent safari:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom