Russian schools move to Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Schoolchildren in Russia are to be taught using the free, open-source Linux software in an effort to cut the cost of teaching information technology.

By 2009, all computers in Russian schools are to be run on Linux - which means they will not have to pay for a licence for software, such as Microsoft's Windows.

Alexey Smirnov, Director General of the Company ALTLinux, said that schools formerly tended to run illegal copies of Microsoft operating systems, but after Russia entered the WTO, the laws became much stricter and schools began to be prosecuted for doing so.

"The situation became rather serious, and something had to be done," he told BBC World Service's Digital Planet programme.

"One possible decision was to buy licences for all the software being used - but so much software was being used, it proved too expensive... so the decision was taken to use free software, although not immediately, but over three years."

Read more...

mediator

Technomancer
Schoolchildren in Russia are to be taught using the free, open-source Linux software in an effort to cut the cost of teaching information technology.

By 2009, all computers in Russian schools are to be run on Linux - which means they will not have to pay for a licence for software, such as Microsoft's Windows.
:shock: I wonder when the Indian govt will do somethin like that!

din

Tribal Boy
We are (Kerala State) on the way ;)

I mean all schools are in Lin now.

Hope all over India things start getting moved ..

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
din said:
We are (Kerala State) on the way ;)

I mean all schools are in Lin now.

Hope all over India things start getting moved ..
Atleast its better than using pirated windows

praka123

left this forum longback
Microsoft is focused on india.they knew the threats of Linux and OSS.their marketing and lobbying teams are already there for playing.
see for eg:
*www.cxotoday.com/cxo/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=83619&cat_id=912

In kerala,congress if comes into winner in next election,they *may* try to force microsoft windows into syllabus.although our current CM Sri.V S Atchyuthanandan is capable enough to understand and appreciate and executed the Free Software Open source policy after RMS convinced him.he visits Infosys and appreciate new things even at 80 old.
But Congress if won,i am very pessimistic on Linux in schools Kerala :oops:

but communism does not have to do anything here.apart from boycotting monopolies to get running in states.I appreciate this.though i hate communism in its real face like in Malabar esp kannur and in West Bengal where CPM are dividing each gramam's(gaon) to party country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom