Running Compiz on School computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
Hello friends , I have been asked to install Ubuntu and Compiz on a single computer as a test . i can install ubuntu7.04 via Wubi. but installing Compiz is pain on a computer WITHOUT INTERNET tell me the files required . and the procedure and crystel theme . the computer is core2duo 1.6 with 512 mb of ram. my classmates should be amazed at looking at that desktop (incl. girls :D) the main motive is i want to show my GF the power of being Open Source . i can easily do that in computer with internet . but without internet???!

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Feisty Fawn come with Compiz by Default. You just need to enable them by going to System > Preferences > Desktop Effects and click the Enable Desktop Effects button.

But if you actually want all the effects then you will have to install Beryl and Emerald which you can't do since you don't have access to the internet.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
Feisty Fawn come with Compiz by Default. You just need to enable them by going to System > Preferences > Desktop Effects and click the Enable Desktop Effects button.
no! feisty does not come with default compiz.
compiz is defaulted only from gutsy.

@max installing compiz on feisty without internet connection is not worth the pain.download and install gutsy.

Last edited:
OP
max_demon

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
^ ya i know , but what about drivers for graphics ? it has onboard and if i try to install gusty , it may twiddle with Filesystem . any way i can safely dualboot with Gusty ... ? with Windows Bootloader ?

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Are mint= Ubuntu+Multimedia codec.
U can easily install multimedia codecs on Ubuntu that too offline. i can help you in making Ubuntu work offline. If you want I Can send you cd for offline installation of everything you want.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
no! feisty does not come with default compiz.
compiz is defaulted only from gutsy.
False. Feisty does not come with Compiz Fusion. It comes with Compiz
Compiz != Compiz-Fusion

Open Distrowatch and check Feisty's List you will see it has compiz in it if Im correct.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Try Sabayon.
No need to install it, it will work on Live Cd, it has the latest drivers Graphics integrated,all codecs & few games also

bwt, whats the computer config?
Please don't tell me its a Celeron or sempron :p

most important what are the Graphics present?
they should be powerful
www.sabayonlinux.org/

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Install Mint man. It is something that will really impress everyone. It has compiz built in. And if it's an intel onboard that you are using, then it will have the drivers too. Don't try beryl without internet. Not worth the pain. Compiz is enough to blow everyone away.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
If you're going to install it permenantly(it's obviously not giong to wipe out any other OS), it's better to not use wubi as it's going to be approx about 10-15% slower than a full install.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
bwt, whats the computer config?
Please don't tell me its a Celeron or sempron :p

the computer is core2duo 1.6 with 512 mb of ram.

Sabayon will be a good idea just for one day show-off.
Get some DVD based distro, maybe mint or ubuntu ultimate or pclinuxos or such.
If you don't mind upgrading/installing anything till next version releases then you're good to go with sabayon.

Install Mint man. It is something that will really impress everyone. It has compiz built in. And if it's an intel onboard that you are using, then it will have the drivers too. Don't try beryl without internet. Not worth the pain. Compiz is enough to blow everyone away.
Where did beryl come from? I thought it was dead and buried?

Last edited:
OP
max_demon

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
So finally which ? Mint or Sabayon . and where can i get their dvd images to d/l ? or can i order a cd?

+better option will be dual boot as i m going to sit in computer lab for long hours . windows in required for some primary childrens with LOGO and BASIC software .

+Windows and MS word is also there in some syllebus

So finally which ? Mint or Sabayon . and where can i get their dvd images to d/l ? or can i order a cd?

+better option will be dual boot as i m going to sit in computer lab for long hours . windows in required for some primary childrens with LOGO and BASIC software .

+Windows and MS word is also there in some syllebus
Mint 4.0 Daryna is the best bet you have.
Sabayon needs a dual core and 1gb ram along with 8400GS to show off maximum effects.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
My vote goes to Sabayon
it supports everything out of work, no config needed.
also no installation is needed

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Ive been using Sabayon a bit here and there and theres only one problem I find with it. All the packages arent the latest . For example if a package on Ubuntu is 1.2 the chances are that Sabayon has 1.1 of the same package. Now many might find that trivial but when it comes to Compiz Fusion and stuff a small version hop is a huge difference imho. Nonetheless UI think Sabayaon is the best bet for a non Internet Connected computer.It comes with tonnes of applications installed by default. The only thing Mint probably has mroe than Ubuntu is a few more drivers and codecs and restricted extras, other than that you still need the internet to install applications

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Mint 4.0 Daryna is the best bet you have.
Sabayon needs a dual core and 1gb ram along with 8400GS to show off maximum effects.
I have run sabayon very smoothly of a fellow LUG member's core duo with 256MB of RAM and intel 915 chipset. We had all the desktop effects on. We ran Konsole, firefox and a multimedia player.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Oh yes and as Mehulved said its not as heavy as it would seem. However my system is much better than the one mehulved tested it out on :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom