run b4 log on, on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
dont think a program can be run, but if it can be programmed to be a service, then it can. Try to tell the exact program you want and maybe some other option or workaround can be suggested.

overclocker

Journeyman
I think you can't launch any program before you enter the log on screen at this stage Windows loads a minimal set of apps. Just a login screen and thats it in regards to service again no. Windows forces the user to login and you can't really have control over that, only when the user logs in manually (or automatic if no login has been setup), can you then start your app, GUI or service. The Service will start automatically as soon as you logon but in
regards to the GUI, that needs to be placed in the startup folder.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
windows logon is a service, in case you didn't know, but then again, i may be wrong in saying that a service can be started before logon. Saw a few apps recently which asked as follows.
1. Install as application (will be run when user logs on)
2. Install as service (will be started with windows even if user not logged on)

I think filezilla server asks something similar.
@ Overclocker, go figure. Guess I need to hit google, but gonna get some sleep for now. I am up for 36 hours continuous.

overclocker

Journeyman
How do u say that I did not know "windows logon is a service". Could u tell me clearly actually I can't follow u wat r u trying 2 tell me.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
hey, i didn't mean to offend you, ok. that was just a figure of speech. What i am saying is that windows logon, is in itself a service ( *www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/winlogon/ ) and it is run before login. So it might be possible to run other services too before login.

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
yes you can...i did it with winamp.just make a batch script and schedule it...it wil start b4 logon...

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I think if u make a shortcut of the desired EXE file here:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

then it might start before login screen, but I never tried it ;)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
hmm... may be it wont...

all local security and user rights and all those policies are activated after a user is logged in..

so i think default Security of Windows may gonna prevent it to be lounched before Loging on... but once again... Me too never tried it...

OP
Tushar.bar

Tushar.bar

Journeyman
Vishal Gupta said:
I think if u make a shortcut of the desired EXE file here:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

then it might start before login screen, but I never tried it ;)

how to place a shortcut on it suppose i have a 16 bit exe file named as tt.exe please explain how to do it

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Simple Dude ...

Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe)
Browse to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Run

Right click in the right pane with Run Selected
Click New --> String Value --> Give it the desired name like Test
Double click the new String "Test" and put in the complete path for the EXE into the Value field and click OK.

That's it ... but I don't think that's gonna work for most apps unless u give the desired switches and pass necessary arguments ....

Best option would be to create a service ... Check the Sc command (Service Controller) on your computer to create service ...

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
y take registry trouble guys....the way i did it:
1>make a playlist of the songs(winamp doesnt take cmdline params)
2>write a batchfile to start the playlist(just add the path along with name and extension of pl)
i.e.
Code:
@echo off
c:\pls.m3u
3>save the file as .bat or .cmd
4>using scheduler,select to run at "when my computer starts"
5>done!

: SPiRiT :

Broken In
I have a bad feeling the program that need to be run BEFORE the logon SCREEN is probably a "KEY LOGGER".... kyon????

Anyways a prog can be run after a successful logon and b4 the explorer is loaded.. i meant one will be in a position to have access to the task manager so use the run command from there...

Jus a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom