run 24 hrs a day Lappy OR Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourav

In the zone
I have a IBM Laptop g41, should I keep that running for 8 hrs at night or my desktop which has a 400 watt PSU and a crt monitor

My main concern is the life of the pcs and energy conservation.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ nothing happens man... don't worry! for extended period it better if u use the laptop as that saves a substantial amount of power.

OP
sourav

sourav

In the zone
infra_red_dude said:
^^^ nothing happens man... don't worry! for extended period it better if u use the laptop as that saves a substantial amount of power.

thanx for your reply.

i have about harddisk need a break of 30 minutes in a whole day. is that correct

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Cant say what would happen if you dont give a HDD break, as all my frnds who owns Lappy, Lenevo / HP / Dell / Acer many runs 24/7, but all have 3 yrs warrenty... but as infra_red_dude said, still they have not faced any problem..

Personally, i have run 24x7 not actuall as for Power failure in every 2/3 days I needed to have a 10 or 20 mins break.. :(

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
sourav said:
i have about harddisk need a break of 30 minutes in a whole day. is that correct
i cudn't understand ur Q. are you trying to say that the hdd needs to be powered down for at least 30mins in a day, or something?

if thats ur Q, then the answer is NO as there is no written documentation by even the hdd manufacturers which says so. hdds of today are robust. so dun worry. again, as to when an hdd fails.. nobody can predict that. mebbe due to some malfunction in the internal electronics or shocks or surges they may go bad. so there isn't something which can say when the hdd will go bad for sure. but the average normal ageing process takes about 6-7 years to kill the hdd. but, i haf a 9 year old 4.3gb still going strong :)

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
i use my new 95k 17" C2D lappy... from 4aft to 2 @ night...making that 10hrs.... straight.... will it cause heartburns l8r... seriously speaking...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
pathiks said:
If u use a lappy that much the battery ll surely degrade over time..
ok now this is something really to be discussed. thanks for bringing up the point, pathik.

if you are running the lappy continuously on AC power for extended periods then UNPLUG the battery for its longer life. discharge it upto mebbe 40-50% and store in a cool dry place. my uncle has a dead battery in his lappy coz of this practice of keepin it in the lappy and using AC all the while.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Hmm I think I should remove the batt from my lappy as well, It has last two runs of 49.5 and 47.5 hours, no standby no hibernation only LCD went off but the thing is that I use it coz I download stuff and in case of power outage I do nt have to bother until 2-3 hours. ie until battery runs

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
kumarmohit said:
Hmm I think I should remove the batt from my lappy as well, It has last two runs of 49.5 and 47.5 hours, no standby no hibernation only LCD went off but the thing is that I use it coz I download stuff and in case of power outage I do nt have to bother until 2-3 hours. ie until battery runs
yes, thats the only advantage! but if u haf a ups, by chance, in ur place even that problem is solved. even the ups for a desktop will do jus in case of a small power outage. u can connect both of them simultaneously.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
if you are running the lappy continuously on AC power for extended periods then UNPLUG the battery for its longer life. discharge it upto mebbe 40-50% and store in a cool dry place. my uncle has a dead battery in his lappy coz of this practice of keepin it in the lappy and using AC all the while.
r u sure abt this? and does this apply to li-ion batteries

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I run my Inspiron 6400 on an average for 12-15 hours a day. Sometimes it 12 hours or more on a stretch and then after some time even more for 1-2 hours.

I'm using like this for almost 7 months now and nothing had happened till now. The Battery is also in top condition. Yes, after sometime the Battery might worn out, and this is normal.

So you don't have to worry about your lappy running long hours. It's built to run like that.

chesss -
It's true. I never keep my lappy for AC power unless it's needed. I charge the battery 100% and then unplug the power till it goes less than 10%. I keep doing this. But ppl say the newer batteries to designed for 500 charge cycles. After that the battery goes kaput.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
infra_red_dude said:
yes, thats the only advantage! but if u haf a ups, by chance, in ur place even that problem is solved. even the ups for a desktop will do jus in case of a small power outage. u can connect both of them simultaneously.

But that beats the purpose of buying a laptop! Download without electricity, since the modem goes on inverter. immidiately:(

OP
sourav

sourav

In the zone
how much amount of current does a laptop take as compared to desktop of similar configuration

how much difference is there

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
infra_red_dude said:
ok now this is something really to be discussed. thanks for bringing up the point, pathik.

One question. I have an HP nx6110. I have been using it 24X7 for about 7 months now. (Before that is was about 8 hours a day). I switch it off periodically, maybe once in 12-20 days.

Now, it does not have any alternate power in except for the battery. What to do? I cannot remove the battery and use the laptop.

One more thing. You said that it does not affect the H/W, if laptop runs long. I have had countless H/W problems. But ofcourse, most of them were before these 7 months of 24X7 running.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom