Rumor: Ericsson Looking To Buy Motorola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third Eye

gooby pls
This is very much a “rumors are rife” story, so take it as such: Ed Snyder at Charter Equity Research has allegedly claimed that two of the main shareholders in Motorola told him that Carl Icahn has spread rumours that Ericsson is looking to buy Motorola, reports Mobile Mentalism, via the Mobile Weblog.
The reasoning: “Creating mobile phones with great features and that must constantly change to keep pace with the market is hugely expensive. Creating network infrastructure to support these phones (i.e. the bits of kit the mobile operators buy) is also extremely expensive and competitive...Motorola does both...If Ericsson took over Motorola, though, it could restructure the company so that Ericsson-Motorola focused on the network kit, while a spin-off Motorola handset company (MOTOMOBILE?) focused exclusively on handset design.”
I have my doubts over whether Ericsson would get anything out of this. I can’t speak to the network kit, but major mobile handset manufacturers have few things going for them—brand, a clever design team and possibly some relationships. Motorola has a pretty good brand, but if Ericsson wanted to merge Motorola with Sony Ericsson there’s a very big brand conflict...and having two different mobile handset manufacturers would be a little odd. Sony Ericsson’s design team is currently running rings around Motorola’s (or more accurately, it was 6-12 months ago when the phones currently on the market were being developed) so it won’t get much out of that. It could get some distribution relationships, but why buy a company just to cannabalize its sales to a smaller competitor? I think Ericsson would get more bang for its buck by aiming for organic growth by Sony Ericsson, and investing any extra funds in its various other technology initiatives. Of course, I could be wrong...companies have made seemingly silly deals before, and sometimes they work out very well.
Update: Here’s something relevant in AP: “We’re not entering into a major acquisition period,” said Ericsson Chief Executive Carl-Henric Svanberg. “We have a lot of the acquisitions behind us.”

Source

Swedish telecoms firm Ericsson is contemplating buying a spun-off Motorola mobile business if it becomes available, company chief Carl-Henric Svanberg said today at an investment analyst conference. The official, whose company forms half of cellphone giant Sony-Ericsson, explained that it would be "cautious" about buying any mobile division that would split from Motorola but that the company would nonetheless watch any services that might be made available. Ericsson has historically avoided buying out other companies because it often believes it would be "better off" improving on its own, claims Svanberg.

Acquiring Motorola's mobile division would greatly increase Sony-Ericsson's stake in the cellphone industry, which grew to 9 percent in 2007 but is eclipsed by Motorola. The American company still claimed 13 percent of world cellphone marketshare despite a dramatic 38 percent decrease in phone sales year-over-year and would effectively give Sony-Ericsson a near-automatic boost to 22 percent total share. The current share leader is Nokia with 40 percent of all phones sold worldwide.
Source 2

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I hope it stays a rumour! Moto is the low end segment king and I'd want it to remain like that!

SE low end phones are crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom