Rising costs prompt Naukri.com to go for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Job portal Naukri has availed the benefits of Open Source, according to its Chief Information Officer, Mr Vibhore Sharma. This one-stop information clearing house about jobs and careers has over 1,000 people working at its 45 offices across 30 Indian cities and an overseas office in Dubai.
The portal had to contend with the fast-paced growth of the Internet, offer a secure, reliable and cost-effective platform to enable the smooth functioning of the information-heavy site, innovate constantly and offer new products and services and enable new engagement channel for job seekers, Mr Sharma said and added “Naukri now offers SMS job alerts.”

Cost factor
Stating that the use and adoption of technology at Naukri has been a story of evolution, based around the growth stages of the job portal itself, he admitted to cost being the major factor in Naukri opting for Open Source.
“Once the challenges centered round business growth and building up of the Web site to handle the scale of visitors, a robust technology platform became imperative. The key was to ensure that the total cost of operation (immaterial of the technology option chosen) is realised,” he said.

Scaling up
According to Mr Sharma, the portal adds to its existing database about 10,000 resumes that are being received everyday, from about 1,000 at the start of the millennium.
“We have scaled up to meet future needs. Red Hat is the recognised brand and it is the flavour of Linux that has worked well for us. We have been able to roll out services and products in line with our innovation credo,” he said.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Re: Rising costs prompt Naukri to go for Linux

bad news is that costs are rising and money is playing with us.
Good news is that initiatives are taken to curb this evil. Getting back to the roots.

Re: Rising costs prompt Naukri to go for Linux

Offtopic Comment: When people say Naukri it sounds too cheap. Naukri-dot-com sounds much cooler 8)

Naukri.com has made enuf name but it still gotta fear of rising prices?
Well, name is not really everything. While they enjoy respect and goodwill of the people, it needn't mean that they are also highly financially secure. Although IMO, respect and goodwill matter just as much as money.

ontopic: Linux definitely makes a great switch for rising costs, but you generally tend to enjoy it more only if you switch to it for the sake of USING and LEARNING it. Not cutting costs.

Vishal Patil

Linux all the way
Hmmmm... Thats the diffference between free and paid softwares.

Some how free softwares attracts everybody and you get you can't resist its use.
Thats the real fact in open-source world.
Why would you spend > 10k on Vista, when Linux OS like Ubuntu can serve in much better way.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
One more case of Free as in free beer being the reason of adoption of OSS instead of Free as in Free speech. Wonder if I should be happy or not!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@Vishal Patil
but you cant play Crysis, COD 4 and you don't have Dreamweaver, adobe photoshop for linux...lolz

Many people (especially teens in case of games) can't live without games and any other alternative other than adobe products.

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
One more case of Free as in free beer being the reason of adoption of OSS instead of Free as in Free speech. Wonder if I should be happy or not!

I think you missed this line

Red Hat is the recognised brand and it is the flavour of Linux that has worked well for us. We have been able to roll out services and products in line with our innovation credo,” he said.

is/was Red Hat free of cost :D ???

NucleusKore

TheSaint
RedHat was available free of cost until RedHat 9.0
I think (but I'm not sure) you can still use RedHat Linux without support. However, if you so desire to use RedHat, it is better to use CentOS which is nothing but RedHat minus the branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom