[Review] Picasa 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
After reviewing nokia 6260, 9500, thought that i could do some software reviews. Here comes the Picasa (version 2) review.

* Google's picasa v. 2
Picasa is a digital photo organizer, on the same lines as the adobe's photo album or Jasc's Paint Shop Photo Album. This is a free program available for download.
I can say that it has the best interface and looks nice too. It does not look too profesional as adobe softwares.
Just the right application that u will need to organize all ur photos/GIF's in your hard disk.
And some good news for dial up users! This is a just a 3 mb file and required a 13mb free space in your HDD, and i downloaded the software in just 5 mins (or even lesser time).

* Getting started
After installing picasa, u will prompted to scan all ur picture files on ur HDD or any other folder alone in particular. This is done in just a few minutes time and you are done! I found some new Gif's which i myself wasn't aware of it's existence!

Now u can use it for organizing, editing, and sharing your digital photos. We all must be having digital photos from various sources:
~ camera mobile
~ Digital camera
~ Camcorder's stills
~ Scanned pictures (from a SLR camera)
~ Some wallpapers/saved Gif's, etc...

* Features:
Picasa 2 had a lots of new features when compared to the earlier version.
*img172.exs.cx/img172/116/screenshot13lz.jpg
Image sourced...from google's picaa website.

## Zoom, upto 450% more than the original picture.
## Red eye removal: remove the red thing from the eyes of the target
## AUTO color/AUTO contrast
## I am felling lucky! (just the best combination, that u may just want, if ur lucky!)
## Fill color
## Import pictures from other external device to ur HDD, using picasa
## You can also save photos to an external drive, burn them to a disc, or upload them to popular photo-sharing Web sites.
##Add keywords to files and search by keywords or album information.
## Slide show
and lots more... :wink:

* Sharing options
What is the use of a digital photos, if u can share it with others?
I agree unlike Adobe Photoshop Album, Picasa doesn't offer tools for transferring photos to handheld devices, cell phones, and digital video recorders directly, u will have to do all this manually and indirectly.
Some sharing options:
-printing the photos
-Emailing them
- upload pics to Google's popular blogging tool, Blogger.
-an other tool called "hello" (available as a aditional plugin).Hello is a free service that works together with Picasa to send dozens of pictures directly to friends who are online. Hello can also be used for to publish pictures to a Blogger Blog.
- Export the picture to a external device, like CD's, DVD's , zip drives, etc...
* Pros
~ Good looking interface
~Light on system resource
~Scans computer for all picture files, and monitors selected folders for new pictures and it's automatic too, so u need not have to scan every time.
~Even novices can work on picasa, unlike adobe or Jasc softwares
~Not cluttered and is well organised.
~Comes with a good price tag, "FREE" :p

* Cons
~just some basic image editing tools
~Picasa doesn't offer dedicated tools for transferring photos to handheld devices, cell phones, and digital video recorders.
~ Limited photo sharing features.
~I dint find any tool to caption or for archiving

MY OPINION:
Hmm, Google has done it again! Picasa's elegant user interface creates a great first impression, and i am a follower of "First impression is the best one"

Ofcource it has not many features when compared to photo album , but i guess u wont need these, if u are a novice or just use for home and personal use.

Moreover it is a freeware and is just 3mb download, go ahead and download it dudes :wink:

------
Doctor Grudge

G

gxsaurav

Picasa is good but only look wise, I really miss the color changing feature for the software, not the images, as Picasa has blue tint all over, I wish I could change it to Metal or Gray like iPhoto

Picasa is 3 MB download, 14 MB Installation, if U using ACDSee 7 or 6 then stick to it, Picasa is useless as it only supports a few file formats, it is just an eye candy software

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

gxsaurav said:
Picasa is good but only look wise, I really miss the color changing feature for the software, not the images, as Picasa has blue tint all over, I wish I could change it to Metal or Gray like iPhoto

Picasa is 3 MB download, 14 MB Installation, if U using ACDSee 7 or 6 then stick to it, Picasa is useless as it only supports a few file formats, it is just an eye candy software
Hmm, this is a free software, mind U :twisted:

Also it is a 11 mb installation only.

theraven

Technomancer
ahh grudge
sweet review as always
giving it a try
tho for software revies its always better to provide a download link :p
here ya go

picasa review and download :
*www.snapfiles.com/get/picasa.html

direct download link :
*toolbar.google.com/picasa/picasa2-setup-1877.exe

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

theraven said:
ahh grudge
sweet review as always
giving it a try
tho for software revies its always better to provide a download link :p
here ya go
Hmm, i will try and provide links next time...., just dint understand what my mind did last time....

sms_solver

In the zone
Picasa 2 seems to be starting new trend in application in 2005,

yes no doubt it is good image managemet sw,

but its smooth animation, very easy to use interface, simple design

I simply liked

after iTunes, Picasa is the sw that is visually good, and very easy to use
:D :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Digit should start a new forum for Reviewers and Dr. Grudge should be its mod. Something like members write reviews, send it to the mods and then and if its a good review, it gets published in the review forum. That way it keeps the clutter out and we get software reviews faster than to wait for the digit mag to come at the end of all things....

--------------
*www.rollaword.com/firefoxsig.jpg
Rollaword.com

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

goobimama said:
Digit should start a new forum for Reviewers and Dr. Grudge should be its mod. Something like members write reviews, send it to the mods and then and if its a good review, it gets published in the review forum. That way it keeps the clutter out and we get software reviews faster than to wait for the digit mag to come at the end of all things....
Ohh man, i am flattered , one member is PMing me and telling good review !
Thanks for ur encouragement :wink:

I already posted my feedback saying that we need a review and guides section, it improves the quality of the forums.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
yeah.. we sure need it ;-)

btw nice review... i'm using it frm last 20 days.... i discovered many features frm ur review.. way 2 go :)

sms_solver

In the zone
i find video and screensaver creating feature useful.
I recommed everyone to use this wonderful software.

It is way ahead than Ulead photo explorer and other similar kind of softwares

goobimama

 Macboy
By the way, sorry for the late news, but I think there is a captioning feature in Picasa. I just started using Picasa so...

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

goobimama said:
By the way, sorry for the late news, but I think there is a captioning feature in Picasa. I just started using Picasa so...
yeah, it's here...(i failed to notice it when i tried Picasa)
*img171.exs.cx/img171/4268/untitled18aq.gif

@tuxfan, yeah man, waiting for more version of picasa from google! :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom