[Review] Nokia 3230

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
*www.nokia.com/BaseProject/Sites/NOKIA_MAIN_18022/CDA/Categories/Phones/PhoneModels/Nokia3230/_Content/_Static_Files/3230_logo.gif

Introduction:
The 3230 has features of a smart phone and priced comparitevely low. Nokia claims- "Smart phone for the masses" and a smart phone which is a middle end and not a high end model.

It is feature rich (with EDGe, FM radio , PTT, etc.) series 60 Symbian OS phone. In fact this is the first nokia symbian phone to have a stereo FM player.

*pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/00168/nokia_3230_168063c.jpg

Construction/Design:
The phone is not uniform in size through out it's length. We may tend to feel as though the upper half of the phone is heavier than the lower half. The phone weighs 110grams and it resonably thiner. Other than this , there is nothing more to add and it's built solid.

The phone is offered in two color versions: black and wine red. And the covers are not replacable unless we are forcing it to open. So this rules out having Xpress on covers. The phone design looks like that of SE's model (like T630) and the keypads too like like it.

Keypads:
It's in here that this phone fails to impresses. The keys are placed close to each other and too rigid.
*mobile-parts.gr/catalog/images/image_7653_1-100x80.jpg
Also it got no volume controls like what phones has. This keypad also reminds us of the SE phones keypads. The visibility of the keys also an issue. It's small that we might not see them. The upper row of menu softkeys is too small and rigid for comfortable usage. IT actually has two different type of keys, the control keys (at the top) and the digit/numericals keys.

However the keys are soft and gentle and well illuminated in the dark by the backlit light.

Camera:

It got a 1.3mp megapixel camera which is high for casual use and normal usage. The camera is at the upper half of the back cover and does not poke out the phones's surface.

The camera produces a 1.5sec. lag after we capture the moment and the phone saving the same, so it's immpossible to take a photo of a moving object.

The picture quality is very high and resonably good in dark light conditions as well. It also has an ability to take video shots with a resolution of 176x144 pixels.The video recorded can be edited with a photo editor where we can cut/edit or add effects to the video.

The phone has a Kodak Mobile Service application, it requires the use of GPRS and enables you to send your pictures to Kodak Company's address, where they are printed, put into an envelope and sent back to you by post. But we might not need this feature here in India.

Photo taken with this phone: (Thanks to DIN)
*img294.imageshack.us/img294/5964/32306tc.th.jpg

Connectivity:

It got EDGe, bluetooth,Infra red, GPRS, PTT. We shall one by one.

EDGe: One of the major plus point of this phone is that of the EDGe. This is the cheapest phone in India which got EDGe.
The speeds that we can get is upto 177.6 kbps.

With EDGe, we can two main things. First we can watch live "streaming" audio/video. But this concept is yet to mature in India. Also we can download multimedia clips and we can watch in ur phone (and remember that 3220 has a small screen unlike series 60 phones).
Another useful thing with this EDGe is that this phone can be used as a modem and used to browse net with your PC. The speeds depend on the network provider, but we get 115kbps on a average.

Bluetooth:
Bluetooth in this phone works perfectly. I tried transferring photo's,video's,Mp3's and other files over bluetooth has so far gone without a hitch and each to do the same. We can also Synchronize your phone and PC over a local Bluetooth wireless connection and do a host of applications.

we can also get that Talk handsfree with a wireless Bluetooth headset enhancement and play wireless multiplayer games over a Bluetooth connection like what we do in N gage/n gage QD.

We also chat via BT with other phones nearby within 10m.

GPRS: This works well with this phone and we can brwose through WAP sites and check mails etc.Data transfer up to 80 kbps. With it's XHTML browser, we can see more graphical content and enchanced viewing.

Infra red (IR):
The phone IR option for communcation between the phone and pc and another phone. We can do a host of things like trasferring files to sending business cards. W need to have a IR dongle for the same. And there may be some line of sight(LOS) issues with IR and the line between the phone's IR port and the IR reciever should be in the same line.

Push to talk (PTT):

This is feature where the user can tlk to many phone at the same time by just "pushing one button". It's technology is similar and can be compared to that of the wakie takie one.
This is a network based feature and to use this feature, the same had to be supported by the local network provider.

And it's a Tri-band phone covering on up to five continents (EGSM900/GSM1800/1900).

Screen:
It got a 65k color screen with 176 x 208-pixel resolution TFT LCD. It got a very large LCD which is very sharp and of high quality .The brightness intensity can be changed within the general options of the display settings.

The backlighting is good and there was not any problems and evenly spread over all the keys. We can set screensavers as well.

Sounds/Speakers/Music player:
Nokia 3230 has also equipped its new model with a FM radio and a music files (MP3) player.The music player supports MP3, AAC, AMR and Real Audio files. the drawback here is that it plays the files in mono sounds. As for the video player, it handles n H.263, 3GP, MP4, MPEG-4 video and Real Video formats.

We can record voices through the voice recorder and set it as rigntones also.

Phone also has an additional speaker, which is located on the top panel.

Memory:
IT got a 6mb internal internal memory and also the memory can be expanded with the multimedia memory card (MMC). The MMc comes with a 32mb as the standard package.

Nokia 3230 uses a memory card of the RS MMC (reduced size-MMC) type which is not the standard with other phones like 6600. This card format isn't used very widely yet, and you may experience some problems when using it with the memory card reader, unless you have an adapter, but the standard packaage doesn't come with an adapter.

This phone use hot-swapping of MMC, ie removing and replacing of the MMC without switching the phone off.

Battery:
The battery BL-5B is of the Li-Ion type and has a capacity of 760 mAh. It got upto 4 hours talktime and 150 hours standby time. Full charging takes 1 hour and 50 minutes.On moderate usage the battery lasted 55hours. so again in the battery and related area, there was no problem and this phone fairs well.

Radio:
It got a Stereo FM radio with visual radio. (visual radio is interactive and we can have info as to who plays it and other artist info). But this visual radio is not supported by networks in India.
The 3230's speaker produces really loud volume when played through it (with the headphones connected).

Games:
3230 has a lot of games and also different modes of playing as well.

Agent V: It's a motion-enhanced game and the camera captures background and translates actual phone gestures into gameplay movements. We can capture the phots and we can shoot them in realtime using the phone's movement.

RALLY PRO: It's a car rally/driving game, where we Choose our tracks, choose your cars and do racing!

Other than agent V it got multiplayer games like : Rally Pro Contest, Snake. Also MGS Steel Warrior, Card Deck, and Mix Pix and in addition to all this, we can download java games for the series 60 phones install and play the same.

Pros:

+ Feature rich
+ 1.3mp camera
+ Push to talk capability
+ stereo FM radio
+ Mp3 playback (but mono)
+ Hot swaping of MMC, expandable memory

Cons:
- Uses reduced size MMC (RC-MMC) so that is not the standard ones used
- Bit bulky and weighs 110grams
- Small letters on keypads, whcih may be difficult to read.
- Rigid key placements and no gap between one key and another.

Content of the standard package:

* A handset
* A battery BL-5B, Li-Ion 760 mAh
* A standard charger ACP-7 (in particular countries also a travel charger ACP-12)
* Stereophonic earphones Nokia HDS-3
* A memory card of the Reduced Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC) type with a capacity of 32 MB
* User's manual

Price:
Rs. 15,500 -Varies from place to place

Conclution:
At rs. 15.5k, it's offers a features of a hign end phone and is a feature rich phone. We can say that it has the features (almost) of 6630 and sells at the price of 7610!

The 3230 offers a good value buy for those looking for a smart phone, but it's degign, the keypads and the contruction brings down it's reputation.

Note: All images are sourced.

My other reviews/guides:
Cell phone guide (sub 6k and 6k-10k)
Moto E398
Nokia 6260
Nokia 3220
Nokia 9500

Biplav

In the zone
really nice review grudge.
but to be honest ;more of a very well designed "Detailed" report.
keep up the good work.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

khandu said:
Hmm Hmmm..

:)
LOL..WhAt do you want to say? U got pictures taken from this phone? If yes tell me we can add that to the review :D

@biplav,
Thanks man 8)

khandu

In the zone
what i wanted to say was NICE.. :p

My review about this cell

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23452

1 of the pic from my x-cell :p

*img185.echo.cx/img185/453/pc8cp.th.jpg

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Yeah.. I have seen some shots taken from this phone.. In a bright sunlight, it's very good. This is evident from the two photos, otherwise it flatters :D

well here is one more screen shot ,taken in the evening,but see its clearity---
*img357.imageshack.us/img357/3628/japanesepark9lv.th.jpg

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Yeah, as far as I have seen, this phone performs very well in good lights/bright sunlights, not otherwise, the same quality wont be there if we use in nights or not so bright sunlights.

Deep

Version 2.0
My cousin purchased this phone yesterday only, I liked the phone but found buttons bit hard and I didnt like the sound quality..

In Sony Ericsson phone, sound quality is very high compared to nokia...

Deep

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i second that! audio sounds better in SE anyday! overall a good phone except for the crampled keypad (tho k700i is no better! t610 was an SMSer's gift!)

kaysquare

Journeyman
I use a nokia 3230. bought 2 months back. regarding keypad , you will get used to it. But i feel the joystick is a bit tough compared to se fones.and the fone feels a bit sluggish

anubhav_har

In the zone
I have first heard that Nokia 3230 has many software problems.. i borrowed a friends and used it for a week. THe camera is trully amazing, the radio sound is good and all other features are excellent... worth a buy...

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

@Krish_88, Look at the sticky topic for all the reviews posted here.

Threads merged

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
When N6630 prices are reduced and when it costs less than N3230,I think Nokia can withdraw N3230,which cannot come near Internationally most successful leader N6630.

hummer

Journeyman
nice review, i also hv the same fone . good fone. i really liked it when i bought it in may.
but now i hate the sound quality of 3230 reason being my roomie bought w800i 10 days back

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
gr8 review pal.i had that fone 2-3 months bak bought that for 15k and than lost that :cry: .2 b honest i didnt like the fone that much it has good screen,decent camera and few good features but than the batt backup,keypad(literally sux) etc etc...i guess 6630 if far better fone than this one the only (-) pointbout 6630 is that it dont hav a FM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom