Restore point in Win 98SE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakhunathan

Broken In
How to start the restore pont in Win 98 SE?step by step instructions will be useful as I can copy it keep it for reference.

Nimda

l33t n00b!
There is no system restore in Windows 98 and 98SE. System restore was started from Win ME. But you still have 3 options:

1- Upgrade to Win ME or XP. -> The easiest thing to do since ME/XP supports system restore.

2- Use this program to create restore points in 98SE:
Winbakup system restore for win 98

3- Be satisfied with the registry backups that Win 98SE creates every time you boot the system.

To restore a previously saved registry backup:

Go to Start -> Run... type in msconfig and on the General tab go to advanced and check "enable startup menu". Closeout and reboot...
On the startup menu choose #4 command prompt.
At the prompt type:
scanreg /restore [Enter]

After the scan you will be given an option (with dates and times) of some prior restorable registries ... (unfortunately if you have rebooted several times before attempting this you may be bumped out of a useful restorable range because the registry tends to get backed up with each reboot and Windows I think defaults between 3-5 restorable registries)
You can Edit Scanreg.ini and change the MaxBackupCopies=5 to 15 or whatever you want.

You should be able to potentially choose a restorable registry from a date/time prior to whatever is the recent conflict...
Highlight and choose restore... after receiving confirmation of a successful registry restore... reboot.

Be sure to go back to msconfig: General/advanced and uncheck the
"enable startup menu"... so you'll boot directly into Windows...

Source: Neowin forums

vandit

In the zone
sorry

sorry to say that there is no inbuilt windows restore in win 98 se ........
better do a google search for 3rd party softwares.... :?

vandit

In the zone
if u want to restore registry ...

if u want to restore registry u can use the inbuilt registry back up...
for a complete guide check out....
start>help>index> write " restoring registry " and it will display u the solution....

ujjwal

Padawan
Another option you have is the system file checker. Click the "start" button, click "Run" and type "sfc". This will check for any files that were modified in your system.

expertno.1

Technomancer
in win98 there is no any restore point the one thing u could do is the backup of the system files including third party softwares

for drivers bacjup use Driver genius 2004

mostly windows system files are needed for backup and aslo third party drivers in some case if ur new drivers dont work due to any prob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom