Resoultion is not changing in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Padawan
Hi digitians.. I searched in the thread for changing the resolution in Ubuntu unfortunately i could't get it..Whenever I boot Ubuntu 7 using Dvd(digit june dvd) disktop opens with 600*800 resolution.I tried to change it in preference>desktop resolution,here it's showing only 600*800 option...Please help....

OP
New

New

Padawan
Thanks for express response.
No,it's onboard graphics..Pc linux was working fine some time ago...What could be the problem?

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Which onboard gfx?
Intel?Nvidia?Ati?Unichrome?

AFAIK only intel/unichrome cards work with no need for any driver config.
Ati and Nvidia need drivers to be installed.

Also , post ur xorg.conf.
It can found at : /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Please note that you need to use sudo to view it.

Run this in a terminal.
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Regards,
ray

OP
New

New

Padawan
Yaa. it's intel onboard graphics(915G express)...

It might take some time to post xorg.conf. as I am in XP now..
Thank you...

praka123

left this forum longback
also what is the max supported resolution?
u have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and in Device "screen" u have to add those options.BTW,it is 800x600 not the other way! :p

OP
New

New

Padawan
^Sorry for600*800!
My desky supports 1024*768.. In the desktop resolution option it shows only 800*600.I would like change it to 1024*768

praka123

left this forum longback
show ur /etc/X11/xorg.conf file post the details here.
u can open this file using gedit.

OP
New

New

Padawan
Thanks Praka.. Finally i have done that...
If you don't mind one more question please...Can i able to download the codecs through Airtel MO to Ubuntu...Does Ubuntu 7.10 support mp3?
Once again Thank You...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
New said:
Hi digitians.. I searched in the thread for changing the resolution in Ubuntu unfortunately i could't get it..Whenever I boot Ubuntu 7 using Dvd(digit june dvd) disktop opens with 600*800 resolution.I tried to change it in preference>desktop resolution,here it's showing only 600*800 option...Please help....
change ur monitor it takes up plug n play monitor by default and doesnt show all resolutions ... change ur monitor u shud get ur desired reso ;)

OP
New

New

Padawan
^Thanks..I got it..Thanks once again...Can I ask you two questions..

Can i able to download the codecs through Airtel MO to Ubuntu...Does Ubuntu 7.10 support mp3?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ubuntu out-of-the box doesnt support mp3 u will need to dwnld codecs for it .... however if i may suggest download exaile or amarok as ur audio player they are pretty good and dwnld these codecs from here:

apt://ubuntu-restricted-extras - jus type it in ur browser window - link courtesy qwerty

abt mo i dont know may be some 1 who has used it can tell coz the apt command dwnlds and install on its own pretty much like windows update

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
iMav said:
ubuntu out-of-the box doesnt support mp3 u will need to dwnld codecs for it .... however if i may suggest download exaile or amarok as ur audio player they are pretty good and dwnld these codecs from here:

apt://ubuntu-restricted-extras - jus type it in ur browser window - link courtesy qwerty

abt mo i dont know may be some 1 who has used it can tell coz the apt command dwnlds and install on its own pretty much like windows update
You can use tags as this will help users to ju...hole purpose of apt url handler is defeated;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom