Requirements for Setting Up A Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

caje143

Journeyman
Hi All,

I Will be subscribing for a DSL connection for my flat at a speed of 256Kbps...
i want to connect my Laptop, my Brother's PC, My Sister's PC and also i want to leave an option if at all i want to join another PC to this network...
So can you'll please suggest and help me in knowing on how to Setup this network.. i know that the guys giving me this service will set it up for me, but i want to know in advance what all are the requirements and what has to be done so that i can get all that i desire..give me the exact requirements to connect my pC and teh rest to the internet...

Thanks
Caje

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
hmm.. i guess it will be a long reply... :p you may have hard time reading lol...

OK...

It depends on which type of Connection you are getting,

Scenario 1. You have a DSL comes with LAN doesnt support Multi user !!
Scenario 2. You have a DSL comes with DSL modem, supports Multi User or not, doesnt matter !!

the solution for Scenario 1. is a bit hard to set up but will work in any case....

What hardware you need ??

Your Laptop !! = Most probaboly you have a on board LAN if not then you would need one.
Your Brother's PC = Same, (Most probaboly you have a on board LAN if not then you would need one.)
your Sister's PC = Same, Same, (Most probaboly you have a on board LAN if not then you would need one.)

A Multi Port / (10 Port would do), swith or Hub (Swithes are costiler than Hubs)

Plenty of CAT 5 LAN Cable.

6 (may be a little extra is better) RJ 45 Jacks to connect CAT 5 Network cables to the LAN card lol...

Also you will need to run a system as a Server dont worry Nothing Fancy, Windows XP Pro should do it, without any software, just few clicks... Please note, this PC has to be one to allow other PC / Laptops to connect to the internet !!

One Extra Lan Card for 2nd PC.

This Server PC will need 2 LAN Cards

Thats all

What Hardwere goes where ??

OK, when you buy the CAT 5 cables from the market make sure before that you calculate how much you need,

Where is how you may,

DSL will come in to the Server PC (suppose in to PC of brother) and will Go in to the LAN 1. So you need 1st set of CAT 5 for Connecting your brothers PC to Hub/Switch. Next 2nd Set of CAT 5 to connect Hub/Switch to your Systers PC and Next 3rd Set of CAT 5 to Connect your LAP to and Hub/Switch...

So its 3 set of CAT 5 cables, therefore decide how long you need each set to be, and when buying Punch the RJ45 jacks to both end of each CAT 5 :) ...

Done !!

Software Config !!

Now by far its the most tricky part

Well in server PC, Conncent the DSL to the LAN Card 1. You ISP will give you IP addresses and DNS, set the LAN Card 1 value according to

that, here is how you may do so, after you have conncted the DSL LAN Cable to Server PC and Installed the Second LAN Card.

Go to Network Connection,

It should open a window which would have 2 LAN Cards, Now Right Click on LAN 1, in the menu click Properties on a Settings windows will appeare... :) here Just Check on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click properties, whcih will launch a settings window for value input, you may enter the value (Like IP address, DNS address, Default Getway ETC) which your ISP have given you...

Now Turn on the File and printer share, for the Server PC. (Here is how u can)

Now Plug in the CAT 5 Cable set 1, connecting Server PC LAN Card 2 and Your Hub/Switch.

Now Right Click on LAN 2, in the menu click Properties on a Settings windows will appeare... here Just Check on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click properties, whcih will launch a settings window for value input, You may enter these Value,

IP Address - 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default GetWay - You may Leave it blank unless you are having problem accessing the Network.

DNS Address - You may Leave it blank unless you are having problem accessing the Network.
ALT DNS Address - You may Leave it blank unless you are having problem accessing the Network.

Now Connect the Sister's PC to Hub/Switch using the Cat 5 cable set 2 :p

Now Right Click on LAN 1, in the menu click Properties on a Settings windows will appeare... :) here Just Check on the

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
then click properties, whcih will launch a settings window for value input, You may enter these

Value,

IP Address - 192.168.0.xx (xx can be any number between 255 and apart from 0 and 1 though I suggest 192.168.0.21)
Default GetWay - 192.168.0.1

DNS Address -192.168.0.1
ALT DNS Address - You may Leave it blank unless you are having problem accessing the Network.

Now Connect Your Lappy to Hub/Switch using the Cat 5 cable set 3

Now Right Click on LAN 1, in the menu click Properties on a Settings windows will appeare... :) here Just Check on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click properties, whcih will launch a settings window for value input, You may enter these Value,

IP Address - 192.168.0.xx (xx can be any number between 255 and apart from 0 and 1 though I suggest 192.168.0.22)
Default GetWay - 192.168.0.1

DNS Address -192.168.0.1

In the Both this System, you sis's and your Lappy run the Bellow process, at the Network Connection window, at your Left Hand

tool bar you may find Option Set up a small or Medium Office Network !! Click it,

Which would launch a wizered to set it up,

Here Click Next, Then again Next, Now Choose the Option, called "This Computer Connects to the Internet through Residential Getway or though another computer in my Network.[color]".

Now again Click Next Keep the Computer Name what ever you would like, Click Next,

Now Give all Computer a Same WorkGroup name like "Home"

Click Next and just turn on the File Share. Would take some time to complete the process, and then Ask you to carry out certain task, you may choose the option Just Finish the Network Wizered and Click Finish.

You are done, you may need a system Reboot, and u should be able to access the Internet without any problem in all PC...

P.S. You may need to chance the Home IPs according the given range of your ISP !!

Now the solution for Scenario 2.

Its the most easy way :)

What hardware you need ??

Your Laptop !! = Most probaboly you have a on board LAN if not then you would need one.
Your Brother's PC = Same, (Most probaboly you have a on board LAN if not then you would need one.)
your Sister's PC = Same, Same, (Most probaboly you have a on board LAN if not then you would need one.)

A Multi Port / (10 Port would do), swith or Hub (Swithes are costiler than Hubs)

Plenty of CAT 5 LAN Cable.

6 (may be a little extra is better) RJ 45 Jacks to connect CAT 5 Network cables to the LAN card...

In this way there is no need for a acting server... any PC can run at any time

One Extra Lan Card for 2nd PC.

Thats all

What Hardwere goes where ??

OK, when you buy the CAT 5 cables from the market make sure before that you calculate how much you need,

Where is how you may,

DSL will come in to the Hub/Switch from Modem/router. So you need 1st set of CAT 5 for Connecting your brothers PC to Hub/Switch.

Next 2nd Set of CAT 5 to connect Hub/Switch to your Systers PC and Next 3rd Set of CAT 5 to Connect your LAP to and Hub/Switch...

Software Config !!

Its also pretty straight forward.... Most DSL router/modem comes with IP range of 192.168.1.1, therfore you may change according to

your needs,

Connect the Sister's PC to Hub/Switch using the Cat 5 cable set

Now Right Click on LAN 1, in the menu click Properties on a Settings windows will appeare... :) here Just Check on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click properties, whcih will launch a settings window for value input, You may enter these Value,

IP Address - 192.168.1.xx (xx can be any number between 255 and apart from 0 and 1 though I suggest 192.168.1.21)
Default GetWay - 192.168.1.1

DNS Address -As per as your ISP
ALT DNS Address - As per as your ISP.

Connect the Brother's PC to Hub/Switch using the Cat 5 cable set Go to Network Connection,

IP Address - 192.168.1.xx (xx can be any number between 255 and apart from 0 and 1 though I suggest 192.168.1.22)

DNS Address -As per as your ISP

Connect Your Lappy to Hub/Switch using the Cat 5 cable set

Now Right Click on LAN 1, in the menu click Properties on a Settings windows will appeare... here Just Check on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click properties, whcih will launch a settings window for value input, You may enter these Value,

IP Address - 192.168.1.xx (xx can be any number between 255 and apart from 0 and 1 though I suggest 192.168.1.23)

DNS Address -As per as your ISP.

Now Run this wizered in All the systems... at the Network Connection window, at your Left Hand tool bar you may find Option

Set up a small or Medium Office Network !! Click it,

Which would launch a wizered to seu it up,

Here Click Next, Then again Next, Now Choose the Option, called "This Computer Connects to the Internet

through Residential Getway or though another computer in my Network.[color]".

Now again Click Next Keep the Computer Name what ever you would like, Click Next,

Now Give all Computer a Same WorkGroup name like "Home"

Click Next and just turn on the File Share. Would take some time to complete the process, and then Ask you to carry out certain

task, you may choose the option Just Finish the Network Wizered and Click Finish.

You are done, you may need a system Reboot, and u should be able to access the Internet without any problem in all PC...

Few..... Finally finished

lol...

mediator

Technomancer
I think a sticky shud be made on such topic "How to connect 2 pc's, LAN, ethernet etc". I see such kinds of posts atleast once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom