Required help in setting up database for webportal

Status
Not open for further replies.

un

Broken In
I have 2 issues, hope forum helps me in resolving it....

1. For a academic project assignment, I plan to create a webportal, wherein our classmates can create a their usr id and pwd & login in member area, which enables to them to enter thier profile & also enables them to update it later on.
Please instruct me, how I can proceed for creating the member page, means which tools I can use & how. Also plz guide me for the useful links in above topic.

2. Meanwhile I have created the website excluding the memember area, however the it can best viewed in 1024x768 resolution, because I created website on the computer having same resolution.
But I want to make it standard, becuase my friends are using the monitor whr max resoultion is 640x480, so the web pages looks some what different, so I want to make all the text & graphics comes under the screen, so that their is no use of horzonital scroll bar in either resoultions.

geekysage

Journeyman
@un: I would advise you to try out Drupal. It's a great content management software with member area/login and allows you to set privileges and stuff.

I assume you have a hosting account somewhere but if you don't, try hostachio internet solutions. I have an account with them for a while now and they've been just great. You can install dozens of applications like Drupal, phpBB, phpNuke, Mambo, chat softwares, shopping carts, etc. just by using their Fantastico scripts. It's really a one click install.

You can also code member area and login stuff youself using PHP.

OP
U

un

Broken In
Thanks,

geekysage,

vandit.

However my assignment is not create a forum, my requirment is user can enable the data to this account and can see the details whenever he requires and no user can see others data.

[/b]

OP
U

un

Broken In
Thanks,

geekysage,

vandit.

However my assignment is not create a forum, my requirment is user can enable the data to this account and can see the details whenever he requires and no user can see others data.

[/b]

geekysage

Journeyman
Aight, here's what you can do for the:

1st problem
You can also code member area and login stuff youself using PHP.
By an academic project, i assume your institute wants you to create the system yourself not copy or use another system. Therefore, you better start learning PHP. Using PHP-mySQL, such member profile w/ restricted access system can easily be created.

2nd problem
There are two solutions to this problem.

The first one is to use table widths in percentages in your site design, e.g.
Code:
<table width=100% height=100 class=geekysage>
NOT
<table width=900 height=100 class=geekysage>
This would solve the layout problem for any resolution.

The other more common solution used nowadays is to create the entire site with a fixed base width, aligned centrally, the base width is generally assumed to be 700-760 for 800x600 resolution. The remaining 100-40 pixels are left for the side scrollbars/other side toolbars and to ensure a definite layout. This way the site is properly visible in any resolution including and above the base resolution. Look at *www.hostachio.com to get an idea. They have designed the site for people who have a resolution of 800x600 or more. Therefore if you visit the site you will see a patterned background on both sides of the pages while someone with 800x600 resolution will see the same page spread across the full screen and someone with 640x480 resolution will have to scroll horizontally to see the full page. Just set the base width to be around 600 if you are designing the site for people with 640x480 resolution, who are rare by the way.

You can code a primary table or div tag to set the base width and then keep on nesting per the requirement. e.g.
Code:
<html>
<body>
<table width=760 align=center>
<tr>
<td>
  <table width=700 height=200 cellspacing=4>
  <tr valign=top>
     <td width=30%>
     [b]Help someone, use your knowledge. Remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

-Geeky Sage ;)[/b]
     </td>
     <td width=30%>
     [b]No regrets, they don't work. No regrets now, they only hurt.

-Robbie Williams[/b]
     </td>
     <td width=30%>
     [b]The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.

-William James[/b]
     </td>
  </tr>
  </table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>
Hope this helps. Let me know how your assignment goes.

OP
U

un

Broken In
Yes, geekysage.

1. Plz give direct to some links whr I can find stuffs on PHP-mySql.

2. Thanks for second issue.

geekysage

Journeyman
Well, i like this site: *www.php-mysql-tutorial.com

By the way, try searching on google before you post a question on forums, this helps in avoiding redundance on the web. I mean, search for "php mysql tutorial" on google and you'll find this site among the top five results. Hope you got my point.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom