Repartitioning without Partition Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
Umpteen times it has been mentioned in this forum that we need Partition Magic or some similar software to repartition Windows partition. I use another method, without disturbing my Windows installation. It is booting into Xandros (Linux) CD. I proceed 'installing' Xandros, but factually I mean to proceed only upto the part when it asks you to select partition to install Xandros. Seleect install in 'Empty space in Windows partition'. Select the larger Windows partition that you want to split into more partitions' and se;ect the sizes of Windows partitions. After it does the re-partitioning and reformatting, switch off the system. And later use fdisk, or in case of Windows XP, use Administrators' tools->computer management-> Storage ->disk management, and delete the 'unknown partitions' and either leave the free space (for future linux installations) or reformat the free space as Fat32/NTFS. That’s what I did with my laptop with 40 GB HDD and no partition!. Now I have three Windows partitions, and three Linux ones.

super_i_man

Broken In
""Now I have three Windows partitions, and three Linux ones.""....BUT DO U HAVE UR LAPTOP WORKING!!!!!!!

by the way thanks for the info.... may try it out on someone elses lappy!!!!

OP
A

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
Why not!!! And on another system without disturbing Windows in a 40 GB partition, I installed Xandros 3, and OVER that I could install Ubuntu 5.04 too!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom