Removing win98 from my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahuld

Broken In
I have win98 in c drive and winxp in d drive.how do i remove the win 98.
can i format the c drive.will this have any effect on working of winxp..........

ishaan

Padawan
one question...

after removing win98, if he uses Computer Management (Administrative Tools) in windows xp to rename D: to C: will everything work fine or get messed up ?

busyanuj said:
yes, you can go ahead and format c drive.
it will not affect the working of XP.

after that, you will have to edit the boot.ini file to remove the option of Windows 98 that you see when you start your computer.

If you format the C drive will the Boot.ini file not get deleted - is not the boot.ini file located in C root ? Can you get XP to start from D if the Boot.ini file gets deleted when formatting the C drive ?

ishaan said:
one question...

after removing win98, if he uses Computer Management (Administrative Tools) in windows xp to rename D: to C: will everything work fine or get messed up ?

The problem I can see - how do you start XP from D if the boot.ini file gets deleted during the formatting of the C drive ? I am not an XP guru - but I think there will be problems to just rename D to C in "disk management". I have come across a program that lets you change drive letters by changing all drive pointers in the Registry and also all the ini files. This was a while back and I cannot remember the name of the program.

I seem to remember reading that from "disk management" XP will not allow you to rename the drive letter for the drive on which it is located.

rahuld said:
I have win98 in c drive and winxp in d drive.how do i remove the win 98.
can i format the c drive.will this have any effect on working of winxp..........

Keeping in mind problems as what you find yourself in I had setup my system accordingly.

See my POST in the following thread to see what I am refering to...

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7869

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
It seems u have installed XP on ur 98 system and selected the
seperate installation option.
Hence XP is installed in D:.
So if you format c: you wont be able to boot ur system cause your MBR is located in the boot sector of c:.
Hence after reboot u ll get message like'Insert system disk' etc.
N then the only option for u would be to boot by floppy or cd and then
reinstall Xp or reinstall the mbr.
I dont think ur d: is a primary partition.
So UR XP files would be installed on D: b ut the active primary partition would be c: hence the boot loader is installed in c:.
You cannot boot from a logical drive.
It is just not possible.
Check if there is ntloader.exe etc is located on ur c:.
I suggest you first uninstall WinXP then run XP setup from win98.
This time go for an upgrade of ur 98 system and not a seperate installation.Now XP will install in c:\windows and will replace win98.
Now your system will be a standalone winXP system.

ishaan

Padawan
thanks richard nightly...i jus tried it out on dis old pc i hav...PII 400, 256ram, 20gb hdd...i hav kept dis pc for all dese kinda experiments n all only...lol...at first it worked fine...but when i tried opening this program i installed in winxp under D:, i found out that the shortcuts werent renamed. everything else was i guess, cuz when i changed the path in the shortcut, the program ran fine.

busyanuj

In the zone
richard nightly said:
If you format the C drive will the Boot.ini file not get deleted - is not the boot.ini file located in C root ? Can you get XP to start from D if the Boot.ini file gets deleted when formatting the C drive ?

oops, sorry.
I forgot that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom