removing restore points in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
The used space in my C drive has more than doubled in about four months after installing XP and other applications. I think it may be due to the restore points created during the period and also the windows updates. If I am correct, is it possible to remove the unnecessary restore points? I would like to format only as a last resort, though I used to do it every month with Win 98. Suggestions requested.

V.Prem Kumar

Netjunkie

In the zone
You can use "DiskCleanup" to remove all the restore points except the most recent one.
Or else you can use utilities like "Tweak XP" to remove selected restore points.
System Restore by default takes up a lot of space on your drive, you can limit the disk space allocated to System Restore from the system properties.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
yes,
netjunkie is right.just go to

my computer>right click c:>properpities>disk clean up...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes. And also, to remove hotfix backups and SP backups alongwith thier registries, try this nifty tool...
*www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_remove_hotfix_backup.zip

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
QwertyManiac said:
Yes. And also, to remove hotfix backups and SP backups alongwith thier registries, try this nifty tool...
*www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_remove_hotfix_backup.zip

Please tell me what are hotfix backups and SP backups and whether it is safe to remove those or will I have to download them again? I presently have all the critical updates installed.

V.Prem Kumar

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
gary4gar said:
yes,
netjunkie is right.just go to

my computer>right click c:>properpities>disk clean up...

But it does not give any option to remove restore points and for the options given, I prefer using System Mechanic.

V.Prem Kumar

sakumar79

Technomancer
When you use windows update patches and service pack, they work by replacing certain system files in your system... The hotfix backups store the older version so that they can restore the system to its old state if there is any problem coming up with the newly applied update. Typically, if you find your system stable after a week or so after applying latest patches, you can remove the backups without problem...

Arun

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Thank you all for the prompt and helpful suggestions and especially to saurabh.sauron

My used space in C drive was 6.39 GB and as suggested by saurabh.sauron I turned off the system restore and when restarted, the size came down to 2.6 GB. I never thought it will make such a difference since I had limited the space for Restore to 10% of C drive and the total size of C is 25 GB.

Then I ran Total Care and Optimize of System Mechanic Pro and the system generally is much faster.

BTW now I have enabled the Restore and created a new Restore Point.

And QwertyManiac, is there any simple way of removing hotfix backups and SP backups alongwith their registries since I prefer to install least number of such tools.

V.Prem Kumar

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Note that extra space on your hard-drive doesn't hurt. I am not saying that don't do anything, but make sure to keep it easy. Trust me on this, I have messed up my PC plenty of times.
Anyways check this out: *bold-fortune.com/forums - kissass guide to slimming down xp. Make sure you make a backup!! of your system.

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
chesss said:
Note that extra space on your hard-drive doesn't hurt. I am not saying that don't do anything, but make sure to keep it easy. Trust me on this, I have messed up my PC plenty of times.
Anyways check this out: *bold-fortune.com/forums - kissass guide to slimming down xp. Make sure you make a backup!! of your system.

You are correct of course, but especially regarding C Drive I think. I had slimmed it down from the very beginning by things like disabling unnecessary services, changing Virtual Memory to D drive etc.
I had also in the past messed up my PC numerous times and that is how I learnt most of the things, ie by experimenting and taking risks. But after upgrading my PC the last time, when I started using XP, I almost never met wih serious problems and never a single BSOD.

V.Prem Kumar

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
janitha said:
And QwertyManiac, is there any simple way of removing hotfix backups and SP backups alongwith their registries since I prefer to install least number of such tools.

V.Prem Kumar

You dont have to install any tool, its jus an exe, run it, use it and throw it away :) it doesnt need to be installed... yes u can do it manually too but I wouldnt recommend it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom